Would you buy a hybrid car?

Cap'n Refsmmat

Would you buy a hybrid car?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you buy a hybrid car?

• Yes! Today, if I could.
    • No. I like my oil.
    • In a few years, perhaps, when prices go down.
    • Other (explain, please)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had the money, I'd do it in a second. The most convincing argument I've heard against them is that the electrical fires are more dangerous, but I don't see how it could be that much more dangerous then a gasoline fire.

No need for any of this science, a viable hydrogen car already exists in the USA. It is just that we live in an oil based economy and governments and people fear to change. Two things to think about, the oil producers would not have such a hold on us and hydrogen cars produce zero pollution. Roll on the Hydrogen Age!

I would right now if I was old enough to drive. I'm trying to convince my dad to buy one, and he was going to until he found out that the high price in gas still isn't equal to the price of a hybrid car over a normal car. Fortunately, in a few years that will all change.

How do they compare as far as speed/acceleration/engine power are concerned?

I would get the one with a more powerful energy.

Whilst as a population we might be polluting the Earth, as an individual the type of car I chose to drive is insignificant and I don't believe it will have any major influences over anyone else. Disregarding pollution I'd go with (depending on money) a combination between price/engine power.

I'd get the hybrid in a heartbeat if I needed a new vehicle. It's a great green choice and from what I've read they've got plenty of acceleration and responsiveness. I'll take that over top end speed any day.

No need for any of this science, a viable hydrogen car already exists in the USA. It is just that we live in an oil based economy and governments and people fear to change. Two things to think about, the oil producers would not have such a hold on us and hydrogen cars produce zero pollution. Roll on the Hydrogen Age!
Which viable hydrogen car is this? The ones I've read about use a fuel cell that is still petroleum-based.

And people and governments only fear change if it comes so fast they aren't prepared for it. Everyone would love to have a pollution-free alternative to oil but if it made your current vehicle obsolete overnight we'd all have plenty to fear, wouldn't we?

There are a few hydrogen fuel cells about. but they are prototypes. and they'll stay that way until the oil companies can make more from them than they can from the last dregs of oil. Personally i think we should start a gradual swap to hydrogen now. in the words of the 6 million dollar man tv show "We have the technology..."

I'd love to by a hybrid car if I could afford it. I've driven a Prius and I really liked it. The problem is it is so expensive compared to the improvement in fuel economy it provides. The thing is I know I'd never recoup the extra cost in fuel savings and there are some very fuel efficient "normal" cars on the market that are almost as clean as the hybrid, are assured to last for many years and cost so much less.

While the extra fuel economy is great, I often wonder what the total environmental impact of a hybrid is compared to a really reliable and fuel efficient car that is sure to last for 250,000 miles with proper care? Are hybrids really more environmentally friendly overall or is their only benefit better fuel economy at the expense of other environmental impacts (like a shorter useable life)?

PEAK OIL MAN:

Normal home attrition & demolition rates could be used to rezone suburbia into a more traditional, New Urbanist approach to city planning, in about 50 years! In other words, if we don't rebuild a dysfunctional suburban home where it is, but instead transfer the land and title deeds to a New Urbanist or eco-city dwelling, then the suburban home can be rezoned into local farmers markets, sustainable tree farming, etc.

Using the Swedish figures on 'normal' home attrition rates... of 1.6% per year, it works out that 80% of suburbia could be rezoned into New Urbanism within 50 years. There are all sorts of legal issues and issues of 'critical mass' to consider... such as when is a suburb no longer a suburb? When have so many people moved out that the corner grocery stores, necessary in a post-oil world, are no longer viable? Maybe the last 30 homes in a district have to migrate en-masse — I'm not sure.

:D

What a vision, sort of Eco-Command Economy then? Like eco-communism. But with you as the World President, of course. Count me out, thanks and look for me among the revolutionaries.

Are you doing your bit to reduce energy consumption by unplugging your computer?

A hybrid would be nice, but the speed is a concern. As long as it can hit 90mph without trouble then it could be alright.

I think the opening "Yes! Today, if I could." option isn't the best way to phrase it, who wouldn't, "if they could" buy a gulfstream jet?

A hybrid would be nice' date=' but the speed is a concern. As long as it can hit 90mph without trouble then it could be alright.

I think the opening "Yes! Today, if I could." option isn't the best way to phrase it, who wouldn't, "if they could" buy a gulfstream jet?[/quote']

why 90mph????

anyways... the Accord Hybrid is faster than the EX-V6 version.

Until the hybrids can match the range and performance of the internal combustion engine, I am sticking with my hemi.

I voted "other" because driving for me is a real pleasure and I love my car and truck. I will certainly get a hybrid once they meet my requirements.

I would buy a hybrid car (just to lower my input to pollution).

Noone wants to live in a city with smog.

As long as it allows me to go 100 mph (no particular reason) and

can go 500 miles non-stop (no particular reason).

So - I have to wait a few years before these specs start showing up.

I would buy a hybrid car (just to lower my input to pollution).

Noone wants to live in a city with smog.

As long as it allows me to go 100 mph (no particular reason) and

can go 500 miles non-stop (no particular reason).

So - I have to wait a few years before these specs start showing up.

Well there is a pure electric car that can go over 120 mph on batteries so i would assume that it would be no bother for a hybrid.

the range again depends on the size of the fuel tank. obviously a hybrid with a 20 gallon(no idea what size a normal fuel tank is but this is just for an example) could go twice as far as a hybrid with a 10 gallon tank. (assuming the same weights/ drag/ and anything else affecting fuel consumption) there is no reason why a hybrid just now couldn't go just as far (probably further) than your average car just now.

Until the hybrids can match the range and performance of the internal combustion engine' date=' I am sticking with my hemi.

I voted "other" because driving for me is a real pleasure and I love my car and truck. I will certainly get a hybrid once they meet my requirements.[/quote']

performance wise... they can match it... the range is still small though.

As i said before, the Accord Hybrid is doing 0-60 in 6.5 seconds... which is faster than the automatic Accord V6-Coupe (slower than manual though). also, it seems that GM and Ford are bent on bringing hybrid trucks pretty soon.

What i'm waiting for though are high performance electric car. I remember that there was a company releasing a monster last christmas... it was doing the 0-60 in the 3 seconds... and it looked nice. it was Enzo-priced though, and Enzo-rare too.

Also, they should make more diesel-electric hybrid for best fuel consumption.

I think E85 ethanol is the way to go, but I'll wait a few more years to see what other options the automakers give us.

I agree. We just need to wait for production of ethanol to increase greatly and for the distribution of ethanol fueling stations and ethanol capable automobiles to increase.