Anybody ever see a show called "The 4400"?

It's on the USA network. Really good show. In the storyline 4400 people our abducted and taken to the future over a period in the 20th century and are all sent back in present time , but with a new ability. They all now have a supposed 5th neurotransmitter called promiacin that allows them to develop unique powers such as telekenesis, healing ability, and predicting the future.

I just want to know the realistic possibility of something like this happening?

-J

As for this actually happening according to science its highly highly highly unlikely. There are philosophies and religions that allow for that sort of thing, but we cannot even perform telekenesis with high end electronics and tractor beams will likely remain science fiction for a long time. The chances of the mind doing it is near zero unless some philosophy caught something science has really missed.

Not a bad show though.

Oh, I will say this though:

Its entirely feasible that some funky brain modifications (not neurotransmitters) could allow people to hear music and play it flawlessly, or do execptionally complex math without even really thinking about it.

Those skills already present themselves, I think in some cases of autism. No one really knows how the wiring is different and why it has that result, but since it already exists it should be reproduceable.

time. The chances of the mind doing it is near zero unless some philosophy caught something science has really missed..

:)

How dare you suggest that science ever misses anything! Is it not the perfect discipline? Had you said that it dismisses things, especially anything with the taint of philosophy, I might not have taken issue. But then just my point of view, as your post was yours.

I've often wondered if there are other layers of the universe we can't sense because we lack the organs for it, or have them but favor the five we know instead. How would we know that things have a smell if we lacked the receptors to sense it?

Perhaps having a new neurotransmitter that excited a dormant sense or inhibited something that blocked that sense might give us heightened access to power over the physical laws that we previously lacked.

I've often wondered if there are other layers of the universe we can't sense because we lack the organs for it' date=' or have them but favor the five we know instead.

[/quote']

There are quite wide portions of the electromagnetic spectrum that we are insensitive to. Some species are sensitive to magnetic fields. I think it would be cool if we could sense the entire spectrum directly. Pick up radio etc., etc.

In addition - technically, we have more than five senses without needing to add psychic powers.

On a serious note, adding a new neurotransmitter wouldn't make much sense without some new neurons for it to be transmitted between and sensory modalities don't have their own specific transmitters anyhoo.