Neuroanatomy diagram required, please.

I am trying to find a diagram which shows the distribution of sensors in the human thumb, analogous to diagrams of the tongue which map the position of sweet, salt and sour sensors, but which shows the distribution of sensors in the thumb, e.g. touch sensors (Meissner's, Merkel's, Ruffini's & Pancian), temperature sensors (hot & cold), and pain sensors (fast & slow nociceptors).

If anyone knows where I can find this diagram of thumb neuroanatomy on the web could they please post the details here and/or send me a personal message with a link to this information.

Thank you.

The receptors types will be distributed over the entire thumb (I would assume) just at different densities in different places. I think you will be lucky to find very detailed info on the internet.

I'm intrigued though, may I ask what you want this for?

So you are interested in the localisation of receptor subtypes with respect to the thumb areas involved in different manual tasks?

I'm still not sure what the contrast enhanced images are for. I assume that you have increased the contrast because you are interested in the patterns, probably related to capillaries, that become visible. Are you expecting a some correlation between these patterns and receptor densities?

I'm still not sure what the contrast enhanced images are for

The geometric marking is subtle' date=' (see colour image), contrast enhancement was necessary to provide a clear image of this phenomenon.

Are you expecting a some correlation between these patterns and receptor densities?

I suspect that the patterns are vasoconstriction local to demyelinated touch-sensation neuroanatomy. The boldest areas of blanching correspond with the areas of the thumb used in its principal actions: pinch and grip: areas which consequently have increased sensation.

If I could obtain diagrams showing the neuroanatomy of the thumb they would be useful to identify this disease process, hence my request at the start of this thread.

How about trying to help me find this information, Ashennell, (or anyone else) ?

• 8 months later...

Nearly found it...

handdiagram.jpg

http://www.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/content/abstract/57-B/4/491

My £50 finders fee is still on offer to the first person who can find me a diagram showing a neuroanatomy diagram of the thumb with structures which clearly correspond to the

triangular marking in the above photo, (post No.3).

Here are a few leads…

· Variations in the nerves of the thumb and index finger. [J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1975] PMID: 1194318

· Anatomic variations in sensory innervation of the hand and digits. [J Hand Surg [Am]. 1999] PMID: 10584938

· [The sympathetic axons of the nerves of the hand] [Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 2002] PMID: 12601602

· Anatomic variations in the motor and sensory supply of the thumb. [Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1985] PMID: 3978968

· The sensory innervation pattern of the fingers. [J Neurol. 1998] PMID: 9617711

• 3 weeks later...