General Harardous properties of acids/alkalis? Please help...coursework tomorrow!

futureless

Hello I've got my chemistry coursework under exam conditions tommorow and I've got to say what the hazards of the unknown acid/alkali in the titration may be... Could you give some general dangers/hazards of acids/alkalis...thanks. I'm much grateful:-)

Hello I've got my chemistry coursework under exam conditions tommorow and I've got to say what the hazards of the unknown acid/alkali in the titration may be... Could you give some general dangers/hazards of acids/alkalis...thanks. I'm much grateful:-)

Acids and alkalis are generally corrosive and how corrosive depends on the strength of the alkali or acid.

Acids tend to react with metals a lot...

Can you be a bit more specific for what your looking for?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

merci, thats all I was really looking for, any other common dangerous props of acids/alkalis

Not really unless you are specific, the most common is that they are corrosive when concentrated :)

here are a few examples:

Alkalis:

1. [ce]LiOH[/ce]
  2. [ce]NaOH[/ce]
  3. [ce]KOH[/ce]

Acids (In solution):

1. [ce]HCl[/ce]
  2. [ce]H2SO4[/ce]
  3. [ce]HNO3[/ce]

^ Above are links, click on them to see their MSDS data sheet :)

As you can see there is a general consensus towards them being corrosive.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones