lemon eating contest

rakuenso

one time i had hot sauce like 3 drops it was liek called 10000 times stronger than tobasco or sometin and it freaking burned like a mother ****** made my stomach hurt so bad n my mouth was like on fire that i drank water from a freakin pool

eating bread or a starch often helps to take the edge off.

I recently heard a radio program on the science of taste and they talked about Capsaicin which is the main 'hot' chemical in foods like chillis etc.

As capsaicin is a non polar molecule, apparantly its best to drink other non polar liquids i.e. milk or beer, which the capsaicin is souluble in. Whereas water is polar, and just makes it worse as it doesn't remove it, it just swishes it around your mouth.

Milk contains some grease, so this indeed is non-polar, but with beer that effect is not present. Beer is an aqueous solution and the capsacain does not dissolve in beer. Indeed, drinking beer is not nearly as effective as drinking milk, when the 'hot' taste has to be suppressed.

Milk contains some grease, so this indeed is non-polar, but with beer that effect is not present. Beer is an aqueous solution and the capsacain does not dissolve in beer. Indeed, drinking beer is not nearly as effective as drinking milk, when the 'hot' taste has to be suppressed.

However capsaicin is very, VERY soluble in ethyl alcohol even if it is an aqueous solution at only 6%. So the presence of the CH3CH2OH in the beer helps dissolve the capsaicin a great deal. Drinking beer does work considerably, but a stronger drink like a scotch or bourbon will work even quicker.

As a side note, keep in mind that once the capsaicin has bound to the receptors in your mouth, no matter how soluble it is in alcohol or oils it will not be pulled away. So no matter how much alcohol you drink, the capsaicin will remain bound to the pain receptors and still cause the burn. Milk is a proven winner in terms of "cooling you down" because the caesin(sp?) in milk is actually able to rip the capsaicin away from the nerve receptors and cease the effect it has.

beer only helps marginaly in practice though (trust me), Yogurt is the ideal, hence most curries are served with Riata and followed by Lassi, oil is the better the "solvent" for chili in the real world as it also creates a barrier layer over the tongue too :)

btw, check this out: http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20176 <evil grin>

beer only helps marginaly in practice though (trust me)' date=' Yogurt is the ideal, hence most curries are served with Riata and followed by Lassi, oil is the better the "solvent" for chili in the real world as it also creates a barrier layer over the tongue too :)

btw, check this out: http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20176 <evil grin>[/quote']

As expected. Yogurt has a VERY high concentration of the caesin which will bind with the capsaicin locked into your receptors, as well as fight for the free receptors and provide a "barrier" of sorts. (I believe it's the caesin which makes yogurt thick like it is).

For extracting the hot spice from chili peppers, a soaking in grain alcohol will work wonders and create a fire water that will make your innards weep for days. ;)

yeah, we do that with Vodka all the while, it works great (but best when the chili`s dried and flaked) :)

although Chili Oil is something you certainly DON`T mess with (or over heat when cooking).

IIRC the whole thing works on receptors calcium ions and nucleopeptides, so the calcium in the milk May be playing an active roll also.

Ya back in our old house i used to grow your standard orange habanero's and so one night my mom and dad were having a party, and this one guy was pissing me off. So I went and picked one, and told him to take a big bite into it. I did this when I was probaly about 11-12 years old. So anyway he didnt want him to do it so i called him a wuss a few times and his prode made him do it. He actualy went home about 10 minutes later. But it seems with those habenaros it takes a while for the spicy ness to kick in, as where jalepeno's bite back as soon as you bite it. I dont mean a bog delay, but maybe 5-10 seconds. I wonder why?