Distance data?

DoctorMO

I just had one of those brain waves, most of them are nonsense but best to ask anyway.

What is the limitations of using a charged array of cells which when hit by certain wave length or strength of light would release their payload into a ccd type detector to produce the end result of being able to store the rough distance away from a camera.

I imagine that when the flash is initiated it would also charge the array, I've been thinking abut the fact that the times involved as so small that it would be very difficult with objects so close to the camera (stars and Galaxy's I gather are simple) which is why I wanted to think about ways of doing it with physics instead of computation.

Thoughts and hysterical laughs welcome, although I did warn you it was a barmy idea.

If I understand you correctly, I believe that you are suggesting measuring light intensity using a ccd, then using the light intensity to determine the distance of the light source. This can only work if you know the intensity of the light source. Astronomers are very interested in knowing the absolute intensity (intensity at the source) of various typres of stars in order to determine their distance. For example, I believe that they consider super novas as all emitting the intensity of light. The amount of light measured on earth will depend on the distance between the supernova and earth. They use this to determine the distance to other galaxies. I believe that they may also use pulsars since they know a relation between their absolute intensity and their frequency. For more information you can google terms like "standard candles".

No that is incorrect. I have not put myself across very clearly.

I intend to measure very small time differences using some form of charge decay... my physics is weak so I've come for a wake up call as to the problems.

the end result being able to store that data as rough distance measurements, but the amount of time involved is crazy small because the objects would be so close.

I'm not very sure it's possible so I'm not holding out a lot of hope, but it's worth exploring.