Internally Mirrored Sphere

leroy24

Hello folks :)

Im not a scientist, nor do i claim to know much about science, at all.

But, this seems to be the place to find this out!

IF I were to be suspended in a Large perfectly round and smooth Sphere, and this Sphere is completely mirrored inside, with an ambient light source (for example hanging through the top above ones head)..

The question is, What would I see?

You would see your reflection like you would in any curved mirror.

You might even see a reflection of your reflection (like you do when you place 2 mirrors facing each other) if you look at the right angle.

Also assuming a perfect and complete mirror (ie. 100% reflection of all light) and assuming the light bulb stays on then it will get lighter and lighter as the number of photons increases.

You need to consider absorption in this case. Because you will absorbe some of the light (otherwise your eyes would not see any light). Initially, you would see yourself like you do using a curved mirror. If there was a small amount of absorption from the mirror and you, as the amount of light in the cavity increases, the temperature you and of the mirror would increase. Everything emits light when hot and this depends on the temperature only (look up black body radiation). For example moderatly warm items are infra-red, while hot items like hot heating coils are red, and very hot items are white.

So eventually the blackbody radiation will be the main type of light in the sphere and everthing will be the same colour depending on temperature. After this then the light will either reach equilibrium at some point if heat is radiated outside. Otherwise it willl get hotter, and the light will get brighter and shifted to shorter wavelengths (bluer).

Excuse me, the model has a light source coming in through a hole, if I interpret reasonably. It will do a certain number of reflections depending on the transmission coeff. (absorption) of the mirror, and if you are in there you will suck up light! Blackbody, yes, but I think this is not the question? There will be a certain illumination..............OK, I see you assume an insulated box, m4rc. Different thing to ass'u'me.

Ah, yes, I forgot you were in there! You would absorb light.

If the mirror is 100% reflective then it will not absorb any of the energy from the light, it would not heat up. Although the photons could heat the air which would heat the mirrors up. I think, is that correct? 100% reflective, nothing is absorbed so it can't gain energy from the photons, if it did it would no longer be 100% reflective.