Black holes and string theory.

Daecon

(I couldn't decide which area this topic would be most appropriate for, so please feel free to move it somewhere else if need be.)

I was wondering if there has been any entertaining of the possiblilty that a Black hole Could be the "end" of a trans-dimensional open string?

On the idea that the more energy you pump into a string, the more it will vibrate until it reaches a critical intensity, then afterwards the string will extend proportional to the extra energy you continue to give it...

With a black hole, gravity will mean that the string will have nowhere to go, as it's length would be restricted by gravity and the warping of space, but what if the end of the string "punches through" into another of the 7 dimensions? More matter going into the black hole = more energy for the string to expand, and so the longer it grows, yet we can't tell because it's now outside of our 3 detectable spacial dimensions.

So the singluarity of a black Hole need not be a point after all, even though it will only appear to be a point in our 3 dimensions, it's actually just the very end of a string.

Is this making any sense or does it seem absurd?

That makes a lot of sense. When black holes "eat" matter the overall entropy of the black hole has to increase. String theory proves this is possible but i have never heard of cossing dimensions to overcome this paradox, sounds really cool though, youve got me interested.

The part about the strings vibrating and then expanding depending on the energy of it was either from one of Brian Greene's books (Fabric of the Cosmos) or a magazine like Scientific American (Frontiers of Physics special edition).

The rest of it is just stuff I thought up on my own.

I'm no expert-but if black holes are formed from collapsing matter (giant stars), what in the world do they have to do with strings!?

And according to Stephen Hawking they eventually evaporate.....

(I couldn't decide which area this topic would be most appropriate for' date=' so please feel free to move it somewhere else if need be.)[/size']

I was wondering if there has been any entertaining of the possiblilty that a Black hole Could be the "end" of a trans-dimensional open string?

On the idea that the more energy you pump into a string, the more it will vibrate until it reaches a critical intensity, then afterwards the string will extend proportional to the extra energy you continue to give it...

With a black hole, gravity will mean that the string will have nowhere to go, as it's length would be restricted by gravity and the warping of space, but what if the end of the string "punches through" into another of the 7 dimensions? More matter going into the black hole = more energy for the string to expand, and so the longer it grows, yet we can't tell because it's now outside of our 3 detectable spacial dimensions.

So the singluarity of a black Hole need not be a point after all, even though it will only appear to be a point in our 3 dimensions, it's actually just the very end of a string.

Is this making any sense or does it seem absurd?

String punching through into another of the 7 dimensions? That's not how it works. I would recommend learning a little more about string theory and what strings actually are, also what is meant by "extra dimensions".

A useful analogy is to think of an insect crawling around a pole, this insect is in a way existing in a dimension we can't see. This is what is meant by extra dimension, where each extra dimension only exists at an incedibly unfathomably small size.

• 3 years later...

Ok I don't get it. If gravitation is the governing force for limitation of vibration in strings than we are just stuck at the horizon because the radiation coming out of the black hole should have some effect on the vibrations of strings. That is assuming these strings are the fundamental blocks because so far quantum has not proved or disproved there existence. As far is "punching a hole" goes that would disrupt the warping of space and time because now the so called "Fabric of space" is not continuous. The whole relativity idea breaks if that happens because eventually all mass would disappear. Than what happened to conservation of energy?