oops... i messed up my electrolosys of watter

dcstegg228

i read this on a website

"A regulated DC voltage source is preferable to ordinary batteries. Use a supply with built-in current limiting- this is a feature of almost any decent power supply, but double-check just to be safe. You can start the source out at its lowest voltage setting and gradually increase the voltage until a steady, controlled electrolysis reaction is taking place. Electrolysis can force many chemical reactions to go against their "normal" (spontaneous) direction; this will occur when a certain electric potential (i.e., applied voltage) is reached. For example, an electric current can cause Pb++ ions in water to form PbO2 (solid) and H+ (aq.), a reaction which normally proceeds the other way."

i have no clue whjat either of theese are but i think i made pb02 and h+ , because there is a clear solid like stuff floating around in the container i made it in.

You cant electrolyse water and expect to make lead dioxide!!

Before' date=' if you would like me to write an explanation, what level of chemistry are you currently at?[/quote']

none, i have taken no chemistry but have some understanding of it, so if that thing i thought i made stands for lead.. i didnt make it. Also, i'm in ninth grade.

Oh, and i didnt attempt to make lead dioxide. What i wanted, and expected was H2 and O... or is it just H and O or neither?

I can understand your confusion then from that explanation considering what you have said, sorry if i seemed abit rude!

In the electrolysis of water, at the cathode (negative electrode) hydrogen gas (h2) is formed, and at the anode (positive electrode) oxygen gas (o2) is formed.

I can understand your confusion then from that explanation considering what you have said' date=' sorry if i seemed abit rude!

In the electrolysis of water, at the cathode (negative electrode) hydrogen gas (h2) is formed, and at the anode (positive electrode) oxygen gas (o2) is formed.[/quote']

Ohhhh, i see now. I read it wrong.

That explanation that you read probably was about electrolysis of water with lead electrodes and sulphuric acid added to the water. This is the basic principle behind a lead/acid battery, as it is used in cars.