chocolate

not sure which category to put this in, but here i go. im doing a 5 minute presentation about whatever i want. i decided to talk about chocolate being "addictive" or not.

I searched around and read that it makes the serotonin-levels and endorphines levels higher, as well as anandamide. But on the other hand, chocolate conatins so small amounts of some of these psychoactive compounds. Many stuff yet not known. But yet so happy-filling, relaxing and warming.

Is it a mere placebo or do certain chemcilas involve in our brains from chocolate? Im not sure how it boosts the release of serotonin, endorphins and anandamides. Tryptophan exists in many other foods for example when it comes to making serotonin. And then we have Phenylethyl amine, argued if its sufficient to make a differnce or not in the tiny quantities it exists in chocolate. how much roles do the active chemicals play in chocolate craving and enjoying? Chocolate addiction/craving caused by the psychoactive compounds or a placebo? ( it tatses good, fatty melts in mouth, nice to eat, reason enough to wanna eat it).

I personally love it and i think i eat too much of it and find it hard to resist the temptation, so that's part of the interest forthe subject.

Question is:

What are your opinions on the matter?

I think an interesting point is when chocoholics are given the opiate blocker Naloxone which is usually given to overdosing heroin addicts, they no longer crave chocolate.

I suppose this suggests chocolate can be just as physically addictive as psychologically.

That's pretty interesting, if a little weird seeming.

I eat chocolate occasionally, but I don't feel addicted to it, or any great desire for it at all, really... I imagine you'd have to eat a lot quite frequently for a craving to build up, but maybe some individuals are just extra-susceptible to whatever specific opiates chocolate might contain.

Basically chocolate is very mildly phiysically addictive. As to the craving issue, one part may be that chocolate contains a well rounded flavor profile. This means that one of the reason it taste good is because it has chemicals that match many of our evolved receptors for fruit evaluation.

it Does contain compounds that directly influence the brain in way or Neuro transmitters and the active parts of them, PEA is one of them (PhenolEthylAmine) and there`s also a Bromine compound (I can`t rem the exact name at the moment)

both of these are said create a feeling of well-being and the PEA creates that "In Love" feeling.

of course quite large doses are needed for this to be really profound/significant.

you mean theobromine? That's one of the main stimulants in chocolate, chemically similar to caffeine, only in one of them one hydrogen is replaced by a methylgroup i think. theobromine has much milder effects then caffeine.

Doesn't contain any bromine though, the namne comes from Theobroma, which i think is the name for the plant which cacao comes from.