U.S.A, Illinois: What is a good Uni for scientific research?

Nezumi

I really need some help here.

I'm interested in biochemistry, bioengineering, neuroscience, and cybernetics of the mammalian body. I'm into cognitive processing and more.

I assume that Illinois isn't my best bet if I want to go far in these fields. I've been looking at the University of Wisconsin.

I just have not been able to figure out which school does more scientific research and actually established found discoveries. I'm simply poor and broke these days. I could get a bunch of loans and never pay them back, that's not a problem. "If you understand the value of money, you'll borrow some." - Benjamin Franklin

My parents are not accepting of that idea.

My problem is finding a good school. I spent a year or so in college now only to notice many classes I have taking are worthless. They aren't actually worthless too worthless; they transfer to a close-by university. (NIU) (Wiki)

Of course, this university is somewhat low-grade, and I want to go to a place with more power, research facilities, and prestige. I don't really care too much about the prestige per se. I care about being able to dive into research, learning, and further development--R&D simply put. That's why I want to aim for UIUC, UIC, or Illinois state..

I've been so busy with other studies and keeping up my grades, I seem to have lost track of "who is doing what" in universities.

I'm not sure if readers live in Illinois, but I would enjoy some pointers.

I sat down with a counselor today, and he said a good amount of the biology courses I've taken won't transfer. I thought, "My god, I've wasted a year or so here."

Here's the irony. The liberal arts transfer.. *is galling by the way society is* The social sciences transfer also, I don't mind what I've taken. Except, U.S. history. Hmm.. seems I've got another long distance of things to do. Perhaps I should start taking 6 classes a semester. Maybe two a summer. Well, I won't be dating a girl for a while. lol.

How should I go about transferring to a University from a Community College?

How will I know it will serve my intellectual wants and needs?

I originally planned on doing a biochemistry major--I get the best of both worlds.

I'm into neuroscience, beceause I'm into transhumanism.

Let's not debate this, this is my view.

I just feel that somewhere along the line, an understanding of biochemistry and neuroscience could help achieve a type of nootrope as shown in the Flowers for Algernon. I see such a nootrope in the near future as a reality.

I just want to be able to push forth and obtain that goal.

I don't know the proper steps to do so, I'm sure some people are slowly getting to the whole idea, I just want to push faster and harder to it.

How would I go about achieving that in a sense that I'm not violating and federal laws?

I mean seriously, college and universities are crap. We all know that, but there are limitations on the freedom of research. That's why I want to become a professor. I sometimes question how it would be to become a neurosurgeon.

I keep hearing good things about Urbana. They may just be straight chemistry though.

Borrow as much money as possible, moey is fiction and knowledge is something worth having. You'll just have to overrule them.

And, as with my usual advice for young students, struggle through as much math, physics, and chemistry as possible because with that sort of base everything else becomes easy.

Yeah, well a lot of things won't transfer over. I intend on taking those courses, but only a certain amount will transfer.

I believe if I were to take calculus three then they would allow me to test out or else transfer the credit. I guess I could ignore the other math credit, right? Calc III is the top for transfer, so I assume they can't make me do anything lower. I do know the credits do transfer, but only a certain amount.

credits=hours in some lingo.

So, i believe I'll take some foreign language courses and electron transport chain. (etc) i'm getting psycho with all the biology, how fun?

oh well..

it's all about what will transfer, how i can manipulate that, and so forth.. must catch the bus.