More then 3 bonds, possible?

RyanJ

Hi all,

Is it possible to have more then 3 bonds, I have heard of 1, 2, and 3 but I have never heard of a bond number greater then that… does anyone know if its possible and have any resource links for more information? (Maybe explain a little about them too if possible).

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Yes quadruple metal-metal bonds are known. They usually involve one of sigma symmetry (ie no node), 2 of pi symmetry (ie one node) and one of delta symmetry (two nodes). The last is face on face d orbital overlap

Ah, so it is possible!

Do you have any article or resource links that have some infromation about them, the Wikipedia entry is less then impressive right now.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I don't think it's possible in terms of Lewis structures, though.

It is more than possible if you remember the fact that the bonds will be between two metals. You are right in one regard, though. Lewis structures are poor determinants of structure for anything beyond simple compounds.

I have read that someone has shown the existence via IR spec of a CH5(+) ion. Is it interesting? sure... is it useful at all? probably not.. and now I just realized that I completely misread your question. Oh well, so my foolish reply stays, hope this is interesting as well. :P

The first metal metal quadruple bond was made by F. A. Cotton in the mid 1960's. He also use to claim credit for the first metal-metal covalent bond too, but that was published in an obscure Russian journal. This didn't however stop him from doing this for years until my PhD supervisor, who still has a "God like" status in the chemistry world told him not to.

Interesting stuff... these bonds can't be stable though can they, I found a reference On Wikipedia) that said there were 7 bonds found but was only stable near absolute zero.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones