Purpose of Psychiatry

dkv

Normal human is the person that follows what others follow or the person that continues to execute age-old routines that were followed by his/her ancestors. It all starts with identifying his parents, going to school, achieving his grads., working for company or owning a company, serving his family, taking care of his loved ones, fulfiling all his due duties and so on......it goes. All humans are considered to be normal unless they become worries for their near and dear ones.

-Humane

Normal human is the person that follows what others follow or the person that continues to execute age-old routines that were followed by his/her ancestors. It all starts with identifying his parents, going to school, achieving his grads., working for company or owning a company, serving his family, taking care of his loved ones, fulfiling all his due duties and so on......it goes. All humans are considered to be normal unless they become worries for their near and dear ones.

REP: So the Psychiatry has no Absolute Existence.It changes its definition from time to time. I mean what is Normal today might not have been Normal in the past.Is that correct?

The purpose of psychiatry is not to enforce "normalcy." It's to help people with problems they themselves believe they have, or problems that make them incapable of functioning in society and thus make them a danger to themselves or others.

The purpose of psychiatry is not to enforce "normalcy." It's to help people with problems they themselves believe they have, or problems that make them incapable of functioning in society and thus make them a danger to themselves or others.

I'm not sure dkv was saying it enforces normality...more it's just trying to understand human behaviour, which changes as attitudes shift. I think dkv is right, and psychiatry is work in progress, it's more than addressing what seems as problematic behaviour...but all human behaviour.

REP:A danger to themselves and to others? Now choose the list of your choice and you will find who's who indulging in it.. so you are probably talking about micro-malfunctioning.

Not only does the Normal behaviour changes from time to time but also from place to places.

Snail:All Human Behaviour under freedom of expression can be quite long therefore we need a list which resonates with time and place.

Snail:All Human Behaviour under freedom of expression can be quite long therefore we need a list which resonates with time and place.

Errr, I'm not sure where you're going with this. You've had some good replies defining psychiatry (albeit not mine) so as psychology progresses this will obviously have a knock on effect with psychiatric care.

Coming up with a list as you've described is nigh on impossible isn't it, unless I'm not understanding your question correctly ?

Are you saying that psychiatry simply won't work because we're too unique from each other, because I think there's plenty of people that would disagree with you, or are you implying something else ?

Psychiatry is fixing something which it doesnt understand completely thats all I am saying..and there is lot of scope of improvement .

It should include a good chapter on Consciousness and Supreme Consciousness...Faith and Fact.