Neuroanatomy diagram required, please.

I am trying to find a diagram which shows the distribution of sensors in the human thumb, analogous to diagrams of the tongue which map the position of sweet, salt and sour sensors, but which shows the distribution of sensors in the thumb, e.g. touch sensors (Meissner's, Merkel's, Ruffini's & Pancian), temperature sensors (hot & cold), and pain sensors (fast & slow nociceptors).

If anyone knows where I can find this diagram of thumb neuroanatomy on the web could they please post the details here and/or send me a personal message with a link to this information.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think images like the ones you are looking for can be found in: Kandel, E.R., Schwartz, K. H. and Jessell, T. M. (1991). Principles of Neural Science. International: Prentice-Hall international Inc.

I'm afraid I can't help you there. My scanner was smashed during my move, so I have no way of getting the images onto my system. :-(

Hi Glider,

Could you comment as to whether the diagrams in your textbook have any structure which corresponds to the triangular marking in the above photograph: I do not wish to expend time and money trying to obtain a copy of the book you mention if it does not contain the information I require.

Hi Glider' date='

Could you comment as to whether the diagrams in your textbook have any structure which corresponds to the triangular marking in the above photograph:[/quote']No, I don't think they do. They just show the distribution of different sense organs in the skin.

I do not wish to expend time and money trying to obtain a copy of the book you mention if it does not contain the information I require.
And yet you want others to expend the time and effort required to find the images you want, scan them and send them to you? You need to remember to whom this work is most important.

Thank you for replying Glider and informing me that the book you mentioned does not not contain the information I require, (had you not replied I would have bought a copy and wasted £50) .

I would be happy to spend time and money to obtain a textbook which did contain the diagram I require.

If any readers have an anatomy textbook which does show the triangular marking on the thumb could they please post the image here. I will buy the book from you at twice its face value, or pay you a similar sum as a "finders fee".

My email address is: CHEVRON1010@YAHOO.CO.UK

I don't know that it does not. I said I didn't think so, but I can't be sure. I haven't looked at it for a while; it's still in a box somewhere from my move.

Most people would open the book to ensure it contained what they wanted before they bought it. Even better, libraries allow you to open books all the time and they don't even make you buy it. You should try it, it's really neat.

libraries allow you to open books all the time and they don't even make you buy it.

You should try it' date=' it's really neat.[/quote']

Hi Glider,

the libraries I have access to do not have esoteric neuroanatomy textbooks.

I would have to buy such a book via the internet.

My £50 finders fee still stands, (£50 would help cover the cost of a new scanner Glider).

• 8 months later...

Nearly found it...

handdiagram.jpg

http://www.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/content/abstract/57-B/4/491

My £50 finders fee is still on offer to the first person who can find me a diagram showing a neuroanatomy diagram of the thumb with structures which clearly correspond to the

triangular marking in the above photo, (post No.5).

Here are a few leads…

· Variations in the nerves of the thumb and index finger. [J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1975] PMID: 1194318

· Anatomic variations in sensory innervation of the hand and digits. [J Hand Surg [Am]. 1999] PMID: 10584938

· [The sympathetic axons of the nerves of the hand] [Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 2002] PMID: 12601602

· Anatomic variations in the motor and sensory supply of the thumb. [Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1985] PMID: 3978968

· The sensory innervation pattern of the fingers. [J Neurol. 1998] PMID: 9617711

• 3 weeks later...