Looking for an eletrical project for cheap

[Tycho?]

I figure that wiring and basic electrical engineering are quite useful skills. I am also interested in the physics involved.But a big problem with talking about capacitance or current or whatever in a classroom is that it is not hands on, and so doesn't help me a lot in real life.

So in this thread I would ask for people to suggest very simple projects to give me some experience with basic cicuits, wiring things, stuff like that. Basic is the key word here. While I know a fair amount of basic theory I've never wired a single thing in my life. So a project doesn't have to be big, or educational, or anything.

Basically as long as I can make something, and then somehow see a result is what I'm looking for.

And the BIG requirement is that it must be cheap. I dont have money to go out to buy all kinds of wires or resistors or other components. I have some basic materials already (aligator clams and the like) and some batteries. But other than that I'd like to be able to collect my materials from scavanging. I dont have any problem rooting through dumpsters to find a radio or something to get the _____ that I need. And I would likely need advice on what I can actually scavenge the component from.

Is this too much to ask? I'm not sure, which is why again I will emphasize that I'm looking for the simplest of the simple, at least to start me off. Any takers?