Side effects of SSRI's

I was perscribed Zoloft about 2 years ago after I suffered from PTSD when my dorms burnt down causing me to lose everything. I continued taking Zoloft for those 2 years.

Last month I ran out of Zoloft and decided not to get it refilled to see what would happen. Surprisingly a lot of things changed, and for the better I might add.

After coming off Zoloft I've noticed the following:

- The intensity of my emotions has increased greatly. When I am happy, I actually FEEL happy. When I am sad, I'm truly sad. SSRI class drugs(I've been on a few) seem to make the world "grey." When using SSRI's there are no extreme ups and downs, every thing is kind of... blah.

- The artistic portion of my personality died completely while on SSRI's. I prior to the PTSD and Zoloft, I was an avid photographer. Once I started them I rarely took photos. The ability to express what I truly wanted to say also disappeared, which mainfested itself in both conversation and my writing. Now that I am not on Zoloft, my artsy side has reappeared.

- Strangely enough, Zoloft also killed my motivation. I gained some weight recently and have had the hardest time motivating myself to work out so that I could lose the weight. Now I have no problems with becoming motivated to work out. It's also helped me with my classes. I'm more motivated to study, due to this I'm in the top of each class.

- This is a weird one... Before Zoloft I almost ALWAYS sang when listening to music. With Zoloft there was no singing at all. In fact, I rarely listened to music when on Zoloft. That is strange for me becuase my life typically revolved around music.

- In a way, SSRI's seemed to make the depression worse. I would dwell on things while on Zoloft. For example: My girlfriend (of 3 years) and I have had some rocky times in the past, most of the time it led to me having moderate depression/anxiety issues. Recently our relationship went in the worst way and we've decided to take a break (which usually means a pending break up). This time I'm not worrying about it nearly as much. Coming off SSRI's has enabled me to become apatheic.

It's a given that this post doesn't have much of a purpose other than to share my personal experience with SSRI's, but I hope it provided you with something to think about. Antidepressants are supposed to make life better for those who suffer from depression but in my case it really put a damper on my life.

Have any of you had similar experiences? What are your opinions of SSRI's?

Iv'e never had experience of SSRIs, but from your description, winter (January, February and some of March) does exactly the same to me as SSRIs do to you. These are my 'concrete days'. Grey, cold and very hard.

• 1 month later...

I was not aware that people were maintained on SSRI's for so long. Usually they are given for 4 to 6 month period along with pyschosocial intervention therapies.

The goal of the psychosocial therapy is to help the patient manage their depression/anxiety following withdrawal of the psycho-modifying agent.

I would search for longitudinal studies with SSRI's. Usually most studies report clinical efficasies at 8 week time points. Although there are studies that follow patient outcomes after a year to two years following a 4 to 6 month admin of SSRI/MAOS/atypical antipsychotics.

I would talk to your doctor and really ask why you've been on SSRIs for a two year period, something is off there.

The intensity of my emotions has increased greatly. When I am happy, I actually FEEL happy. When I am sad, I'm truly sad. SSRI class drugs(I've been on a few) seem to make the world "grey." When using SSRI's there are no extreme ups and downs, every thing is kind of... blah.

This is a known side effect of SSRI class drugs, especially Zoloft.

Regards,

Husmusen

• 2 months later...

Well, my X (X=very close relative, i prefer not to give out to much info about others without authorization) uses venlafaxin (a SSNRI). Without it (in combination with some other factors) X goes literally temporarily insane(anxiety and depression). With it X is rational, straighter and has more energy. This treatment has gone on for a very long time, and seems to continue for a good while. So the consequences of abruptly quiting is terrible(in X's case). the reason X stopped abruptbly is because the medicine causes you to be really sweaty and hot (these days have been very hot). So its kinda dilemma. "Insanity" or extreme warmth? So in this case the extreme ups and downs seem to be higher without it. Well without it its alot more downs then ups. But there's alot of factors that differs greatly from depressed persons as seen.

I was perscribed Zoloft about 2 years ago after I suffered from PTSD when my dorms burnt down causing me to lose everything. I continued taking Zoloft for those 2 years.

Last month I ran out of Zoloft and decided not to get it refilled to see what would happen. Surprisingly a lot of things changed' date=' and for the better I might add.

After coming off Zoloft I've noticed the following:

- The intensity of my emotions has increased greatly. When I am happy, I actually FEEL happy. When I am sad, I'm truly sad. SSRI class drugs(I've been on a few) seem to make the world "grey." When using SSRI's there are no extreme ups and downs, every thing is kind of... blah.

- The artistic portion of my personality died completely while on SSRI's. I prior to the PTSD and Zoloft, I was an avid photographer. Once I started them I rarely took photos. The ability to express what I truly wanted to say also disappeared, which mainfested itself in both conversation and my writing. Now that I am not on Zoloft, my artsy side has reappeared.

- Strangely enough, Zoloft also killed my motivation. I gained some weight recently and have had the hardest time motivating myself to work out so that I could lose the weight. Now I have no problems with becoming motivated to work out. It's also helped me with my classes. I'm more motivated to study, due to this I'm in the top of each class.

- This is a weird one... Before Zoloft I almost ALWAYS sang when listening to music. With Zoloft there was no singing at all. In fact, I rarely listened to music when on Zoloft. That is strange for me becuase my life typically revolved around music.

- In a way, SSRI's seemed to make the depression worse. I would dwell on things while on Zoloft. For example: My girlfriend (of 3 years) and I have had some rocky times in the past, most of the time it led to me having moderate depression/anxiety issues. Recently our relationship went in the worst way and we've decided to take a break (which usually means a pending break up). This time I'm not worrying about it nearly as much. Coming off SSRI's has enabled me to become apatheic.

It's a given that this post doesn't have much of a purpose other than to share my personal experience with SSRI's, but I hope it provided you with something to think about. Antidepressants are supposed to make life better for those who suffer from depression but in my case it really put a damper on my life.

Have any of you had similar experiences? What are your opinions of SSRI's?[/quote']

I've had similar a experience with Zoloft. Just like you I decided not to refill it. It was a bit more of a struggle for me-- I had to struggle against depression for which the Zoloft was prescribed for about two more years. But even during that time I insisted that I did not want to go back on any sort of antidepressant, especially SSRI's. However I think my taking Zoloft was a bit of an educational experience that made me more aware of my moods, and the factors that affect them. Finally coming off the medication fueled my determination to really take my life into my own hands.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

I was on another SSRI, prozac, and within 2 weeks I was even more depressed, for no apparent reason, so I quit.

I had a friend who tried to get off antidepressants because the state raised his copay, his symptoms were more like drug withdrawl than depression.

Big Pharma is interested in your money, not you, so be careful.

Iv'e never had experience of SSRIs, but from your description, winter (January, February and some of March) does exactly the same to me as SSRIs do to you. These are my 'concrete days'. Grey, cold and very hard.

Sounds like you have seasonally affective disorder. I do too. I generally get more depressed in the winter, stop exercising, and generally put on a bit of weight. The summer rolls around, I'm physically active again, and feel great compared to the winter.

Yep, I do have SAD, but it's sub-clinical (i.e. I can still function and the depression is not completely debilitating). I think most people feel a seasonal change. SAD is is more a question of degree than either/or. I can usually manage mine, but some days it gets a bit much, particularly in February.