Long-term effects of marijuana discovered

Cap'n Refsmmat

For years, no long-term studies have been undertaken to determine if marijuana actually has long-term side effects. Many users have claimed that there are no side effects to marijuana smoking.

Now those users have been proven wrong. A study of marijuana users vs. a control group found that use of marijuana gradually lowers learning abilities and impairs memory. The effects aren't drastic, but they were enough to make one of the reasearchers state, "It definitely fogs your brain."

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8839

For years' date=' no long-term studies have been undertaken to determine if marijuana actually has long-term side effects. Many users have claimed that there are no side effects, and that marijuana really isn't addictive.

Now those users have been proven wrong. A study of marijuana users vs. a control group found that use of marijuana gradually lowers learning abilities and impairs memory. The effects aren't drastic, but they were enough to make one of the reasearchers state, "It definitely fogs your brain."

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8839[/quote']

The users have possibly been proven wrong that there are no long-term side effects, but you're extrapolating that this study also shows marijuana is addictive (and I'm assuming you mean physically, not psychologically addictive), when it says no such thing. Also, "fogging the brain" is different than causing irreversible brain damage. It will be interesting to see if there is irreversible damage to memory.

But really, does anyone actually think that marijuana helps their memory? I've never heard anyone saying, "oh gotta go smoke some weed before I study for my test!". Maybe I just hang out with the wrong people.

I think they should have waited a bit longer before attempting a study like this.

24 hours isn't nearly enough time, IMO, to be sure that there are no lingering effects from the drug, and by publishing too early for any long-term effects to be determined they're potentially just providing more fuel for politically biased misinformation campaigns. It wouldn't hurt to exercise more caution when dealing with such polarised issues.