Aerospace engineering:Good Or Not?

SciMaster

Hi

:confused: I'm a high school junior and I've almost selected aerospace engineering as my career. But I still have doubt if it is better compared to other engineering fields! So I just want some suggestions from you people. But I need points which are supported by strong sources!

What kind of sources?

Aerospace pretty well insures excellent pay because it is presice, and is in constant demand by airlines, NASA, military etc. Buts its hard, presumabely. If your only a junior in high school I dont see why you'd want to be this specific so early on. Just go with engineering until you take some engineering courses, then you will have much more information on which to base your decision.

I'm a sophomore in college right now and I'm studying mechanical engineering with a concentration in aerospace. I don't have any scholarly sources to back up my claims, but I think this is the best root to take if you are interested in aerospace. While touring colleges I talked to different professors and they recommended the path I am taking. They said that majoring in aerospace was too concentrated and would not be as useful in the job market as mech E would be. Since mechanical is very general you gain knowledge that will help you in many different fields but the concentration in aerospace will help you in the aerospace industry. They also mentioned that many universities are phasing out their aerospace majors and combining them with mechanical. I would recommend asking professors and professional engineers for their opinions when touring schools.

Plus, if you don't want to join the Air force, Navy, or another pilot-based military institution, aerospace engineering is one of the disciplines that astronaut regularly work in before becoming astronauts.

']

If your only a junior in high school I dont see why you'd want to be this specific so early on. Just go with engineering until you take some engineering courses' date=' then you will have much more information on which to base your decision.[/quote']

I agree. When you take some courses in engineering you will have a much better idea of what you want to do. You might not even like engineering. Hey, it happens.

Most schools allow you to enroll as "unspecified engineering" and then choose your major after a year or two. I can't say this is true for every school, but I believe that at most schools all the engineering majors take the same courses for the first one or two years. At my school all freshmen take the same courses and you only take two major specific courses your sophomore year. Even if you do have to declare a specific major going in, you can always switch. You'll learn more about the different disciplines once you are there.

• 1 month later...

Hi there:

In case you have any doubts and like engineering, I would suggest that you start with mechanical engineering and major in energy conversion systems (power and propulsion).

What you learn there, it can be easily expanded for the purpose of aerospace, chemical engineering etc.

In general, engineering is a good profession and will keep you thinking all the time.

Good luck.

Thanks,

Gordan

Depends on what you mean by 'good or not'.

If all you want it money, there are easier ways to get in to medical school. If all you want is to be used and abused without any respect from the rest of society, there are easier ways to achieve that also.

So why do you want to be an engineer anyways?

Let me guess. Good marks. Shitty guidance councillor.

• 2 weeks later...

What's not to like about engineering? Without them, science would be redundant.

Scientist 1: Holy $@# I figured out time travel!

Scientist 2: Sweet!

Scientist 1: Alright...so we need like this metal box and wires.

Scientist 2: ....

Scientist 1: This totally sucks dude.

:D

You could figure out everything about the universe but that nostaligia only lasts so long. Now if someone were to take that information and find a practical use for it...You got evolution through creation and plenty of data to understand it all, evolving the science aspect.

The Scientist/Engineer duo is like a self-perpeituation(sp? lazy) machine.

Aerospace is pretty cool, I use to be into that, but now I am looking into aquaic/underwater (whatever you call it) engineering. Some day I will be an engineer damn it. Right now I need money so I stick with my metal casting technician program.