Free domain names and free web hosting

herme3

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay' date=' I suppose that's just what I assumed when I saw .co.nz and such.

It [i']is[/i] the British Broadcasting Corporation :P

they no longer use that name.

The world service is a subsiduary company.

The bbc also has other channels in other countries. I think there's a bbc europe or something similar...

As far as I know CNN does not broadcast in 32 languages accross the world...

The free web host I just tried wasn't very good. It has some very nice features, but it was slow and my sites kept going offline a lot. Microsoft Office Live isn't available to the public yet, so I don't know how well it will work.

People said I was paying too much for web hosting, but I can only think of one time that they went offline in the past 5 years. I guess you get what you pay for. If you get a free web host, I wouldn't expect very good service from it. If you need a reliable web host, I would use http://www.homestead.com.

Homestead offers few features for high cost. There are many other reliable webhosts that offer many more features for lower prices.

I still like the Homestead service because I am comfortable with them. I've used them for about 5 years, and I know they are very reliable. I am also very familiar with their SiteBuilder software, and I can easily design a great web site with it. I know everything from the basics to the advanced features. I operate important web sites for myself, and other businesses. Therefore, I can't really take a risk by experimenting with another web host or web design software.

herme3, that was a site I got off of Google, not something I recommended.

I know you didn't recommend it, and I'm not blaming you because of the problems I've been having with it. I apologize if it sounded like I was blaming you. I do appreciate you trying to help me, and letting me know about some other web hosts.

I will still use AwardSpace for other purposes. I do like their PHP support, and I'm sure I will find a good way to use it. They just don't seem reliable enough for me to use them to host important web sites for myself and other businesses.

There are also many companies that are only in America with a .com domain. I can only think of a very few .us domains. However, lots of companies in the United Kingdom get a .co.uk domain. Many of us in America do not understand the purpose. It can be very confusing to remember ".co.uk" if you don't live in the United Kingdom.

For a start the us is supreamly arragant about it's self and the internet in general. second if you can't get the domain name correct for the site you want to visit then it's your own look out. thirdly asuming all websites to have a .com domain is a dangerous asumption, one which highlights the us arragance.

I find it apt that an american can't remeber 6 charicters, must be a brain nibble limit.

For a start the us is supreamly arragant about it's self...

Why not? We are the most powerful country in the world. I read somewhere that the US has enough nukes to destroy the entire Earth 500 times. We also have a very strong economy. It always seems like people in other countries are just jealous of us.

second if you can't get the domain name correct for the site you want to visit then it's your own look out.

Yes, but why does every other country feel the need to have their own domain? Just because you live in a certain country doesn't mean you need to have their domain! If you are that patriotic, just put your country's flag on your site.

thirdly asuming all websites to have a .com domain is a dangerous asumption, one which highlights the us arragance.

The .com domain is international, and has nothing to do with the US. I think all web sites in all countries should use the same domain. The Internet is international, and creating all these different domains will just be confusing.

I find it apt that an american can't remeber 6 charicters, must be a brain nibble limit.

Oh wow! The people of your country must be geniuses! You just taught me a new way to spell "remember" and "characters"! You also taught me how to save time by not capitalizing proper nouns. We Americans sure have been wasting time doing stuff our stupid way!

herme3, do a search on findmyhosting.

About different country domains:

Some countries give away their domains for free. I found one that claimed to be a small island community and they were giving away domain names with their extention to anybody (non-citizens) entirely free of charge.

The entire point of having different domains for different countries is so that those people can use their own languages on their sites, and distinguish where they are. It's a nice system, as the local governments get to control the domain, so for example you could have something.gov.fr for the French government, etc. It makes distinctions about what belongs to what.

And herme3, you did prove DoctorMO's point quite well.

It seems pretty good. I registered http://www.firstunlimited.com as my free domain, but I don't have it online yet. I can upload my own files, but not HTML files. I can only use Microsoft's page editor to edit my site. The page editor seems really nice for a free service, but it will take me a while to get used to it. They have a large variety of templates, and plenty of pictures to use in the templates. I can also upload my own pictures.

I can also create 5 free e-mail addresses on my domain. Each e-mail address comes with 2GB of storage, an address book, and a SPAM filter.

This seems like a nice service. It could never replace my Homestead service, but it is still nice to have an extra domain for free. It will also be great for any person or company who wants to setup a simple web site.

You can only use pop with the e-mail if you get the $29.95 a month service. Of course, everything is still free while it is still in BETA mode. The e-mail accounts are better than Hotmail, but it has the same interface. Actually, you go to hotmail.com to check your e-mail. Instead of typing youremail@hotmail.com you would type youremail@yourdomain.com.

The problem I see with this service is if you're going to move to another host. I would doubt that Microsoft would allow you to transfer the domain to another holder, meaning that you're forever stuck with them unless you wait for the domain to expire :)

The problem I see with this service is if you're going to move to another host. I would doubt that Microsoft would allow you to transfer the domain to another holder, meaning that you're forever stuck with them unless you wait for the domain to expire :)

Indeed I highlighted a similar risk earlier on ;)

Would it be a good guess Herme3 that you're Josh Abbott? The reason I ask is if not then ms is being mean :s