SFN Staff Award Categories

As suggested by RyanJ I think we (users) should make a SFN staff award/poll.

First question is what categories? We could use similar categories to the users awards:

1. Most helpful

2. Most knowledgeable

3. Most interesting

4. Best debater

5. Most enjoyable

I removed the "most imporved" category (what do you think?). And here are some new ideas:

6. Best at moderating

7. Who would (when the time is right) be the most likely to be promoted to admin?

What do you guys think? Feel free to suggest more.

And' date=' do I count as staff? I'm the news team supervisor, but that's kind of a community thing... hrm.[/quote']

I think you should count as staff, but you should also be allowed to be nominated for the user awards.

I said staff implying all the admins/mods/resident experts etc.

Anyone in this list here:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showgroups.php

is a potential candidate.

=====

There is one issue I've thought of when voting knowledgable/helpful categories which is that, taking myself as an example, I would vote for the physics experts, to me they are very clever and very helpful. But if 10 chemists came along and voted woelen then he would win, but does that make him clever than the physics expert?

And if we split up into phys/chem/bio experts then there aren't many to chose from, it would almost become personal, I mean you'd have to vote between 2 chemistry experts, is it fair to call one of them more clever than the other?

So then logically we should not split into subjects, but then we're back with the issue of people being biased towards the subject they discuss most.

Any comments?

Any comments?

I have one comment, when we vote we should specify which field the mod belongs too... if not we should have a best overall knowledge section instead... would be more fair I think :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

What about skipping "most knowledgeable"? I don´t think that any member of this board can even judge E.g. Matt Grimme´s skill, less compare it to that of others.

Thats true, lets face it you would not be a resident expert if you did not know your stuff. We should just leave that one out.

Other then that it seems like a good round selection of choices :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

So now we have:

1. Most helpful

2. Most interesting

3. Best debater

4. Most enjoyable

5. Best at moderating

6. Who would (when the time is right) be the most likely to be promoted to admin?

And should we have another:

7. Funniest

the "best at Moderating" would be a for the most part a moot point, for the simple reason that only Very rarely, is a moderation move made without discusion at length between All of us in a forum set aside (invisible) to regular users.

I reasise it may Seem (from that side) that we act alone and at our own discretion, this isn`t the case for many things :)

the "best at Moderating" would be a for the most part a moot point' date=' for the simple reason that only Very rarely, is a moderation move made without discusion at length between All of us in a forum set aside (invisible) to regular users.

I reasise it may Seem (from that side) that we act alone and at our own discretion, this isn`t the case for many things :)[/quote']

OK... how about bet comminuty leader, who starts the most threads that get people interested?

Would that be better?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

OK... how about bet comminuty leader' date=' who starts the most threads that get people interested?

Would that be better?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones[/quote']

well that really wouldn`t be for US to decide, this idea belongs to You Guys, I`m only posting here to help out a little as to the facts behind a few catagories.

also as the OP mentioned "in line for Admin Promo" I`m pretty sure you need a working Knowledge of the VB code and PHP stuff etc... I don`t think there are too many staff (Including myself) that has a clue about that side of things, so unless you had inside info as to who can program in what, any vote in that area would be pure guesswork.