Fractal Fun: What does it look like!

RyanJ

Fractals are my current topic of interest so I decided to post another thread about then but this time ets see if we can have some fun.

Here is how it works, someone posts a link and then we debate what it looks most like. these don't have to be your ow images but can be from the inernet or what ever you like.

So I'll start, this looks like 3 DNA strings joining into one.

Agree / disagre?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

god thats trippy.... i never get over those things.

i think i could look at that for hours on end.

i was gonna say disagree and that i would say each string looks like 3 dna strands. then i thought about it, and i realised i was an idiot.

god thats trippy.... i never get over those things.

i think i could look at that for hours on end.

i was gonna say disagree and that i would say each string looks like 3 dna strands. then i thought about it' date=' and i realised i was an idiot.[/quote']

Yea these things are pretty nuts - howabout this one.

I think it lookslike a swirl, what do you think? To me it looks like things getting pulled into a black hole!

Swirl.png

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

a tunnel into the center of a pink death star.

I don't know - I think it looks like the instant just after the big bang... also, reminds me of the idea of the quantum foam...

Next up...

TheBigBang.png

To me tht does looks like a big bang... it even looks like there are some other universes forming in there too :D

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

No that's some ancient Stargate-ish weapon being fired.

CRAP! So it does, an it looks like its comming this way... I feel unwell. :D TW, you've probably guessed - I like Stargate ;)

http://zyzstar.kosoru.com/projects/fractals/images/fractal-04.jpeg

That one is just amazing, I can't even think what it looks like though...

Loks like some sort of malformed galazy being pulled into a black hole...

Anyone else have any images, prize for the most interesting / wierd fractal :D

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

• 2 weeks later...
back to 70s baby

To be pedantic - there was not sufficient computing power in the 70s to generate these beauties. It was not until 79-80 that Benoît B. Mandelbrot started generating fractals with a computer, and these were just B&W plots.

So if you ever see a hippie wearing a fractal pattern T shirt in a movie about the 60s or 70s it's actually a continuity error.:embarass:

I know that there are fractals in nature, like snow particles n plants, etc. But the fractals here r all colorful n artistic....do they really exist, or were they made by artists?...if they exist, where do they exist?

The fractals here were made by mathematical algorithms on a computer. They are "graphs" of quite simple mathematical formulae iterated

(run over and over again), if you can understand that.

I would say that they really exist, but only in the abstract mathematical space of the complex plane.

As for the artistic side of things, I would say that it does take some artistic skill to find the best images, within the infinite variety of them, and to colour them to show them to their best aesthetic value.

BTW the ones I have posted I generated myself using the old Fractint program and the newer Chaos Pro program, using my own formulas of course. So I am quite proud of them and do consider it an "artistic" achievement.

The fractals here were made by mathematical algorithms on a computer. They are "graphs" of quite simple mathematical formulae iterated (run over and over again), if you can understand that.

quite simple formulaes....would u plz give an example of one such formulae?...also, what does if mean to run it over and over? does it mean that the formulae is graphed multiple times?

As for the artistic side of things' date=' I would say that it does take some artistic skill to find the best images, within the infinite variety of them, and to colour them to show them to their best aesthetic value.[/quote']

so the colors aren't unique to the formulaes then, right? is the only purpose of the colors to show the aesthetic value?

quite simple formulaes....would u plz give an example of one such formulae?...also, what does if mean to run it over and over? does it mean that the formulae is graphed multiple times?

The formulas go from simple to very complex.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Fractal.html (Sub links) give examples of various equations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractals

so the colors aren't unique to the formulaes then, right? is the only purpose of the colors to show the aesthetic value?

Well, the colours are either generated directly fromthe number its self or from a colour array so the answer is yes or no.

If you can code Liberty Basic the file attatched may be of some interest :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Fractals_LB.txt