This seems to be false

grayfalcon89

Recently, I read from the journal (forgot what. It was in library) about alcohols.

Alcoholism is a chronic disease that can be cured.

I know, heard, and learned that there are rehabs which help people about quitting alcohols and coming back to the normal life. But I don't think alcoholism is never "cured." I mean, only reason that those people do not drink is because they're afraid of what will happen if they start drinking again. It does not really "remove" the desires to drink. So, I don't think alcoholism is something that can be cured.

Is my argument true or scientifically, alcoholism can be cured?

Is my argument true or scientifically' date=' alcoholism can be cured?[/quote']

I'd say it depends on the person, the same as smoking. Some people can give up and never think about it again while others thnk about itevery day. Probably the same with alcohol addiction :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Clearly the body does form a dependency for alchohol after a while and one does suffer withdraw after quiting. This goes away after a while and eventually, so does the body's dependency for it. At this point it comes down to phychological dependence. Most of us are dealing with some form of emotional pain of some kind or another, be it depression, stress, insecurity, anger, confusion, nervousness, or just plain boredom. Personally I link all of these negative emotions to social disfunction, and incompleteness in one's self, usually due to some form of self-betrayal(not listening to that little voice that tells you whats good for you, whats right). Alcohol, drugs in general, and other forms of addiction serve as a crutch for these inadequecies but they are ends in themselves. You can stop taking the drugs but as long as the hole still exists inside a person, they will always have that desperate need to fill it, and since alcohol seemed to help once upon a time, surely it will help again? I speak from direct experience, both personal and observed in friends etc. Fill the hole and the DESIRE for addiction is null. Easier said than done I know. Plus, try telling what I just said to the Docs. treating these people. "Nope thats rubbish...if youre depressed then you need drugs to get you out of it." BS. Again from personal experience. Weather they know it or not, most people are depressed for a reason(its that "voice" trying to tell you something, LISTEN!) There are exceptions where severe chemical imballance makes one predesposed to depression, especially in adolecents, but couple that with REAL person problems and you have one seriously unhappy person.

You can stop taking the drugs but as long as the hole still exists inside a person, they will always have that desperate need to fill it, and since alcohol seemed to help once upon a time, surely it will help again? I speak from direct experience, both personal and observed in friends etc. Fill the hole and the DESIRE for addiction is null.
This is very true to a certain extent. There is a definite psychological factor involved. But I think a bigger part of alcoholism involves tolerance levels.

Some people can handle toxins better than others. Alcohol, drugs, caffeine, nicotine, many people can only handle small amounts of these poisons before they say, "Whoa, that's it for me!" Others have a larger tolerance, and for some the tolerance goes so far beyond what is healthy for them that it becomes more than just damaging, it becomes addictive. The human body is funny that way, you can feed it poison every day and then it will rebel when you stop.

For a true alcoholic, it's not really a case of quitting for a while to dry out and then just having a drink or two. An alcoholic doesn't want just two drinks, and ten may not be enough either. Technically, alcoholism is cured as long as the alcoholic is not drinking alcohol. Realistically, ANY recovered alcoholic is still just one sip away from full-blown alcoholism again.

Personally, when asked I say I'm a recovered alcoholic, with fourteen years of sobriety under my belt. I never say I'm cured.

Youre right. My tolerance is fairly low, for all substances. Mabey it has something to do with metabolism as well? The "best" I could do was mabey a 12 pack in 3 hours or so and Id be blowing chuncks for some time, and be horribly dehydrated the next morning. Im about 160lbs btw. I have/had friends of about the same weight who could stick it away all night, wake up, be realitively ok and then do the same thing the next night(or the same morning, if they even stopped at all!). Id think to myself, "good god, how does he function and how does his body opperate in such a dehydrated state and why is he not keenly aware of the fact?" Perhaps Im lucky. It must be much harder for others. But do you think its a chemical addiction for you still? Or is it linked in someway to the idea that you had good times when you were drunk? Gotta admit it does work quite well for lowering our social barriers. Bars are a terrible place to hang out when your not drunk, but when you are, its the greatest place on earth. Women specifically are more comfortable with themselves sexually when they are drunk where they would otherwise be unnecessarily shy. Again this is saying its a "crutch" and it "works" to an extent, but is ultimately a band-aid on a gaping wound.