Are we afraid to discover our past?

Billwaa

Many people don't believe in Evolution, are they afraid what we might find of our past? What if we are really evolved from sea living organisms like fish? Does that make us any less of what we are now? :confused:

I personally believe that it doesn't really matter what we are in the past. Who knows? We might be evolved from small living mammals lived a long time ago like mouses. We might be related to pigs. That doesn't make us stupid. In fact, nothing can change what we have achieved. We are human, an intelligent speice that is above all other organism on this planet. We have proven ourself to be. What other organism can build the Great Wall of China? Invent computer?

None.

Many people don't believe in Evolution, are they afraid what we might find of our past? What if we are really evolved from sea living organisms like fish? Does that make us any less of what we are now? :confused:

If you trace our history back millions of years ago, you will find we are decendents of fish. We are what we are, and nothing can change that.

Who knows? We might be evolved from small living mammals lived a long time ago like mouses. We might be related to pigs. That doesn't make us stupid.

We did decend from mice. We are related to pigs.

Side note: Pigs are VERY intelligent animals.

Well, I mean normal people think pigs are stupid and lazy and only eat and sleep and do nothing else.

And I guess you couldn't really say we come from fish and realated to pigs as a fact. Natural Selection is only a theory, not a law. For people that believe in Creationism, they wouldn't think we come from fish and related to pigs.

Yes, they (we) do. Very species prejudiced. Not many people have had a deep and meaningful discussion with a pig. Perhaps it is the language barrier?

I think porcine should definitely be added to schools curricula in the interests of inter-species understanding. Defuse the outrage of the pig terrorists.

We did decend from mice. We are related to pigs.

Side note: Pigs are VERY intelligent animals.

Well' date=' mice or shrew-like critters, but neither directly.

I think it's more an insult for the pigs to say we're related to them :P

And I guess you couldn't really say we come from fish and realated to pigs as a fact. Natural Selection is only a theory, not a law. For people that believe in Creationism, they wouldn't think we come from fish and related to pigs.
Natural selection is an observable phenomenon, so it's a raw fact. It's many aspects of evolution as a whole, some facts and others hypothesis, that combine to make the "theory". While it is true we can't say that our evolution from fish is observably confirmed fact, we certainly have enough to at least know it's true whether or not we have the "legal requirements" so to speak.

Well' date=' mice or shrew-like critters, but neither directly.

I think it's more an insult for the pigs to say we're related to them :P[/quote']

Self loathing are we? :P

I was actually fascinated when I finally believed in evolution from my judeo/christian origins. I remember clearly walking around and thinking of everyone as walking primates. I know it sounds all redundant to you but at the time it was very novel to me. I still to this day try to pick out who I think shares neanderthal genes and so forth and so on...

fun game isn't it... i'm sure i spotted a homo erectus once.

o_0 I think some scientists believe asians possess erectus genetic legacy, although Im not too sure about that.. im much more convinced on the whole neanderthal thing though. Ginger gene bearers get me all fuzzy inside.

Well, mice or shrew-like critters, but neither directly.

rats

rats

rats

rats

all the way down!

we certainly have enough to at least know it's true whether or not we have the "legal requirements" so to speak.

to bureauc-rats!

aguy2

o_0 I think some scientists believe asians possess erectus genetic legacy, although Im not too sure about that.. im much more convinced on the whole neanderthal thing though. Ginger gene bearers get me all fuzzy inside.

I am Asian

Natural Selection is only a theory, not a law.
Natural Selection is a law. It occurs, by definition. Anything that is more capable of surviving will be naturally selected over something less capable of surviving. There's really no part of it open to debate.

Born again athiest...I like that! LOL.

I find it amusing how we constantly pat ourselves on the back for our wonderfull acheivments but constantly fail to recognize our blaring failures as a species! Granted, the human body/brain is a magnificent piece of machinery, the most evolved on our planet which of course led to our domination of it, but it must be recognized that as such we owe a certain stewardship to the planet which birthed us and its myriad of other creatures(sentient or otherwize). (This is not about being a tree hugging, idealistic hippie. Its about the logical accnowledgment that everthing is/was in a fine ballance that we have successfully screwed up) It must also be recognized that perhaps the reason we view other creatures as "stupid" is because we fail to understand them in very crucial ways. As an earlier post stated pigs are quite intelligent. It is also being realized that certain species of birds are now being re-evaluated as possesing a pretty respectable intellect. Think of it this way: As a human its obvious that our biggest strenght is out intelligence. There is a sacrifice. How does your sense of smell, hearing, sight, and other unexplored senses compare to that of a wolf(another unfortunately misunderstood, underestimated, very intelligent creature). There is no comparison. I take my dog for a walk everyday. I experience the world with my eyes and my mind. He experiences it with is nose and ears. I have no concept of what his world must be like compared to mine. I think it must be understood that while our senses are reliable, they are incomplete. We see a small part of the whole picture and its obvious that we've (unwittingly in some cases) admited to it by our development of various instuments with which we can over come those limitations. I think its also amusing that we always say "we" when refering to our wonderful technological advances when a rediculously small pecentage of our species comes up with these brilliant ideas/inovations and the rest of us just mindlessly use it to our "benefit." Which leads to my next point. I look at my dog sometimes and think, "wow, what a pitiful rendition of the fantastic creature it once was(wolf, duh)." Dont get me wrong, I love my mut, but it relies on me completely for its survival, and is relatively stupid, where its ancestor was a tenacious and brilliant survivor with super sharp senses and social order. The dog is a de-evolved and disfuncitonal form of what it once was. I view humanity, in its current state, the same way. I believe there is a huge problem with the fact that we no longer stimulate our senses as we once did. Those survival based senses, close interaction and keen observation of our environment led to the sharpening of our intellects...and kept them sharp. Multiply that with the lack of natural selection, a culture that breeds mindlessly, and goes out of its way to ensure the survival (and thus more mindless breeding) of the weak and unintelligent, and you have a real mess on your hands. Thats what were dealing with here people. Are you still reading this...get a life loser! JK. LOL!

Well that was quite a tangent. Get used to it. Thats just how I am. Im aware that durring flow of conciousness I tend to have an accusatory style but be aware that I include myself in those accusations. Certainly not trying to attack anyone...youll know if I do. Im as much a part of this as everyone else...only I desperately want to do something about it. I love what the human species once was and what it has the capability of becoming...but something major has to change!

Born again athiest...I like that! LOL.

I find it amusing how we constantly pat ourselves on the back for our wonderfull acheivments but constantly fail to recognize our blaring failures as a species! Granted' date=' the human body/brain is a magnificent piece of machinery, the most evolved on our planet which of course led to our domination of it, but it must be recognized that as such we owe a certain stewardship to the planet which birthed us and its myriad of other creatures(sentient or otherwize). (This is not about being a tree hugging, idealistic hippie. Its about the logical accnowledgment that everthing is/was in a fine ballance that we have successfully screwed up) It must also be recognized that perhaps the reason we view other creatures as "stupid" is because we fail to understand them in very crucial ways. As an earlier post stated pigs are quite intelligent. It is also being realized that certain species of birds are now being re-evaluated as possesing a pretty respectable intellect. Think of it this way: As a human its obvious that our biggest strenght is out intelligence. There is a sacrifice. How does your sense of smell, hearing, sight, and other unexplored senses compare to that of a wolf(another unfortunately misunderstood, underestimated, very intelligent creature). There is no comparison. I take my dog for a walk everyday. I experience the world with my eyes and my mind. He experiences it with is nose and ears. I have no concept of what his world must be like compared to mine. I think it must be understood that while our senses are reliable, they are incomplete. We see a small part of the whole picture and its obvious that we've (unwittingly in some cases) admited to it by our development of various instuments with which we can over come those limitations. I think its also amusing that we always say "we" when refering to our wonderful technological advances when a rediculously small pecentage of our species comes up with these brilliant ideas/inovations and the rest of us just mindlessly use it to our "benefit." Which leads to my next point. I look at my dog sometimes and think, "wow, what a pitiful rendition of the fantastic creature it once was(wolf, duh)." Dont get me wrong, I love my mut, but it relies on me completely for its survival, and is relatively stupid, where its ancestor was a tenacious and brilliant survivor with super sharp senses and social order. The dog is a de-evolved and disfuncitonal form of what it once was. I view humanity, in its current state, the same way. I believe there is a huge problem with the fact that we no longer stimulate our senses as we once did. Those survival based senses, close interaction and keen observation of our environment led to the sharpening of our intellects...and kept them sharp. Multiply that with the lack of natural selection, a culture that breeds mindlessly, and goes out of its way to ensure the survival (and thus more mindless breeding) of the weak and unintelligent, and you have a real mess on your hands. Thats what were dealing with here people. Are you still reading this...get a life loser! JK. LOL!

Well that was quite a tangent. Get used to it. Thats just how I am. Im aware that durring flow of conciousness I tend to have an accusatory style but be aware that I include myself in those accusations. Certainly not trying to attack anyone...youll know if I do. Im as much a part of this as everyone else...only I desperately want to do something about it. I love what the human species once was and what it has the capability of becoming...but something major has to change![/quote']

Hey I just have to say, good point! You have great ideas! :)

Just that I think maybe you type a bit too much? I read the whole thing and skip a couple lines. Took me a while. However, as I am reading, it make me relize that with all the machine and tools we invented (such as the computers), we lose most of our normal skills. Internet for example, I am able to speak out and respond and argue in the internet in a forum, however, I cannot communicate like that in real life. If you gave this speech in class, I wouldn't say anything because I don't know how or just not used to it. Probably because I am bad at speaking.

With calculator, we stop improving our math skill. Back then when calculator wasn't invented, people have to use their brain. Some people probably can solve an equation even faster than a calculator since they are force to do it all the time. Now, since I have a calculator to help me out, without a calculator, I could be stuck on a math problem for a while.

Now, we depend so much on machine that we can hardy live without them. Without computer, our sociaty will be caos. We lose electricity, communications, access to all different kind of data. I agree with you fully, there is a down side to our intelligent.

[The Peon] I am suppose to be proud to be Asian right? People with neanderthalic genes should be smarter right? Well, I am smarter than most people in my school (overall, not in just one subject), does that mean I have the neanderthalic genes?

Yes I do tend to get carried away. Theres alot going on in this torturously overactive mind of mine and its gratifying to put it words sometimes. Damn right you should be proud to be Asian. Just like Im proud to be the white colored mut I am. Become the best YOU, you can be and be proud of it. Nothing else matters. The opinions of others are void when you are true to yourself. If you really are smarter than most people in your school, then wear it as a badge of honor. Humbleness is an illusion. But remember, there is a big difference between PRIDE, which is earned by never being satisfied with what you know and the skills you have, but at the same time recogonizing what you HAVE accomplished and ARROGANCE, which is based on ignorant self-satisfaction. We are all guilty of that from time to time. Later.