Psychiatry and Human Rights

dkv

I saw a Man tortured for Injection forcibly.

He never wanted such a treatment as he belived in Alternative Medicine.. but the Doctors used Muscle power to force an injection.HYpertension along with such a treatment could have made anyone commit suicide...The person is supposed to be intelligent andDoctors wish to bring down his mental strenght .. what should he do?

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Maybe you should rephrase it. It's like you've given bits and peices of a story, without connecting them. I'm not sure how anyone could answer you.

I'm guessing he's in some sort of psy ward? that's why they can forcibaly inject him?

I saw a Man tortured for Injection forcibly.

He never wanted such a treatment as he belived in Alternative Medicine.. but the Doctors used Muscle power to force an injection.HYpertension along with such a treatment could have made anyone commit suicide...The person is supposed to be intelligent andDoctors wish to bring down his mental strenght .. what should he do?

hire a good lawyer to convince people he's not really insane?

That was the most logical answer I ever got.

Hire a Lawyer.

Even I had a similar thought...

But the question is more fundamental.

Are not we all carry our private perception of the World... and thus anyone and everyone is the eyes of pscyhiatry is insane, or rather INSANE.

I am angry because it violates basic human rights.

That was the most logical answer I ever got.

Hire a Lawyer.

Even I had a similar thought...

But the question is more fundamental.

Are not we all carry our private perception of the World... and thus anyone and everyone is the eyes of pscyhiatry is insane' date=' or rather INSANE.

I am angry because it violates basic human rights.[/quote']

What are basic human rights? Where did this guy live? I think we're going to need more of a story here.

Of course, when your crazy friend goes off his meds and pushes me in front of a subway; I'd consider him violating a basic human right: Life.

In most functional societies there are rules, laws and norms that people must abide by or they are removed from said society. Taking your line of reasoning to an extreme example, I could run around killing people with the justification of: Well, I don't abide by your perception that killing is wrong.

The best advice to your friend: stop resisting, laws and rules are in place for a reason.

Of course, when your crazy friend goes off his meds and pushes me in front of a subw0ay; I'd consider him violating a basic human right: Life.

REP: Unfortunately the case is not so simple. He claims to more than the rest.

He claims to hold the Knowledge of Universe and has a little eccentric aprocah to the entire spectrum of Human Behaviour.

His questions are logically valid and can explain the Universe... (It can be found at http://www.scienceagogo.com under the heading "m-theroy")

The problem is that his "Gaurdians" consider him overactive... and recommed doses whih will reduce his Brain strength.

=========================================

In most functional societies there are rules, laws and norms that people must abide by or they are removed from said society. Taking your line of reasoning to an extreme example, I could run around killing people with the justification of: Well, I don't abide by your perception that killing is wrong.

REP: He is not killing everyone he finds... he simply working on his theory which he loves so much.. His dreams prohibit killing as an option

===================================

The best advice to your friend: stop resisting, laws and rules are in place for a reason.

REP: Yes thats what makes his life like a Matrix Story.. His unconventional attitude makes him the prisoner of so called normal society.

===============================================

dvk.

I also believe forced Psychiatric drugging is inhumane.

It wouldn't be so bad if they knew the effects of these dangerous drugs but they don't,and fail to look into the cause of the problem.

More and more evidence is emerging that Psychiartic drugs cause permanent

brain damage.

Once they have you on that Poison they keep upping the dose all the time until the patient is a complete Zombie and abused like a guinea pig for their own use.There victims gradually get worse and worse not better.

Once Susan Florence was placed on medication, whenever she experienced a side effect from one drug, her doctor simply prescribed another until she ended up in a drug-induced frenzy for which it would have been impossible to distinguish which drug, or combination thereof, was causing the adverse reactions.

http://www.opednews.com

We live in a society where for good or ill, forced normalisation is necessary for the maintenance of "good order" (and the regular collection of taxes.)

If the majority had the opinions of your example, it would be you and i subject to this forced conformity.

dvk,

after reading all posts in this thread what i feel is that person should prove himself of being different and unconventional from others then and then only he will be able to convince normal people in society about he not worthy of injecting those ridiculous medicines. Wat say? Kindly ask your friend to prove himself. I guess that will suffice.

Cheers,

humane ;-)

I comes down to social perception of the norm. But the norm may not be the optimized state for all, but a lower common denominator for some. If someone is different, that might unset what is considered the norm, making leadership more insecure. Vincent Van Gogh and other great artists would be considered bi-polar and dilusional and would be drugged out in an attempt to make them normal. Imagine the lost of world class art by forcing artists to conform to the norm.

Art often looks into the current state of affairs and even projects into the future trends of culture. Such works of art come from higher areas of the brain that are not the norm. The impressionist movement in the early and mid 1800's showed clarity of thinking getting fuzzy. The abstract art movement in the early 1900's, reflected the inevitable change of culture from these fuzzier social values of the previous turn of the centruy into something statistically random and relative. One could have predicted the world wars from this trend in art. Ironically, these changes parallel the development of psychology and psychiatry.

The artwork of MC Escher in the 1950's appears to reflect the trend of today http://www.worldofescher.com/gallery/A35L.html. Many of his works shows multiple stairways going in odd angles to each other. If one looks at just one stariway it appears to reflect a reality reference with all the rest appearing to be illusions due to improper references. This is modern physics and areas of modern science where too many opinions exist. This is no one valid reference but a bunch of random references. In the link above, one may notice the only valid reference is placed at the bottom by culture.

Things like bi-polar disorder is actually a blessing disguise. It does not make it easy to function in modern culture, because culture is not sure how to accommodate it. This state of mind reflects the cyclic nature of creativity. If a bi-polar person had a creative outlet, the down cycle would be worth the up-cycle. Culture does not provide any good intellectural understanding or useful outlet. Under the circumstances this poses a difficult problem for those currently affected. It is like buying a corvette for funeral processions. The limitations of culture is sort of self forfilling, justifying a push toward a lower common demoninator via drugs.

For example, some childern are disruptive. But if one took the time to show them new things, read to them, bring them new places, etc., so they have an outlet for their energy, they would settle down. Instead because that takes a lot of effort, we stick them in front of a TV or computer and give them drugs to calm them down. The problem is an artifact of the limitations of cuture leading to a psychological epidemic. Such, as these, are signs of culture not keeping up with the progressing needs of the evolving human psyche. What is considered important is just not enough for the evolving human mind.

If we go back to the 1960-70's, the youth were mobilized for social change. This was deep philosophical stuff and provided a positive outlet that unfied the youth and led to social change. Such as these are now the leaders of culture. They are stuck at the desert of life and culture assumes this is a full and balanced diet for the modern psyche. One can teach a trained monkey to put on designer clothes or choose the bigger TV. Desert is an important part of the meal of life, because it brings joy to life. But it can never replace the entree's of life.

The lawyer may be the best option. Still, I have one suggestion that may help I guess.

If he can demonstrate that he is in control of his ecentricities, and not controlled by them, his guardians may be convinced that he is capable of managing what they consider to be his "condition".

I would try to talk to him, and try and convince him to "act normal" for the course of one solid month, just to demonstrate it is within his control. His theories will not suffer by a one month delay, and his guardians could no longer claim that he doesn't have the self control nessescary to make choices himself as to how he lives or what treatments he may or may not need.

I would try to convince the guardians, that exposing him to traumatic mind altering treatments against his will will take a large emotional toll on him, and the prognosis will be the same in three month's time: ie, he'll still need to be constantly doped up.

If they give him the chance to prove not his theories or anything, just, a chance to prove he is able to put his compulsions aside and function without medication for a month, the worst case scenario for them is they'll have to do then what they are already doing now: drug him against his will. Any other scenario that could come out of it would be better, he may demonstrate he can function fine and he has control of his choices.

And, if they do give him that month to prove himself off his meds, it will give you guys time to covertly mount a legal defense should it be needed ;)

Just a side note: if I had a compulsion I could not control, that was part of who I was, maybe even a decent part, but I had no choice...I would want help to be able to make it something I had volitional control over. I wouldn't want to fry my brain or take horrid drugs to do it, but I would want help. Its a tough issue because our mechanisms are so medieval for "aiding" behavior.

Things like bi-polar disorder is actually a blessing disguise. It does not make it easy to function in modern culture, because culture is not sure how to accommodate it. This state of mind reflects the cyclic nature of creativity. If a bi-polar person had a creative outlet, the down cycle would be worth the up-cycle.

The only thing that makes the down cycle worth it is if the person who has it feels it is. It doesn't matter if they invent cold fusion, warp engines, and quantum communication systems if they feel the down cycles are too horrible to bare.

We live in a society where for good or ill, forced normalisation is necessary for the maintenance of "good order" (and the regular collection of taxes.)

REP: Honestly you have hit the right Answer.Forced Normalization is what every power aims to achieve. But we stand for freedom dont we?

=======================================

If the majority had the opinions of your example, it would be you and i subject to this forced conformity.

REP: Free Expression should be allowed if it is not hitting anyone Physically.

Thoughts should be fought at that level .. dont you thnk so?

I'll say it again: adults are not forcibly administered psychiatric drugs unless they are deemed mentally incompetent and a danger to themselves or others. It does not happen when someone merely has an unusual worldview. Or at least that's the case in the United States. Where are you from?

Unfortunately the case is not so simple. He claims to more than the rest.

He claims to hold the Knowledge of Universe and has a little eccentric aprocah to the entire spectrum of Human Behaviour.

His questions are logically valid and can explain the Universe... (It can be found at http://www.scienceagogo.com under the heading "m-theroy")

It would appear that it is you who were posting on this other forum and not not some friend.