raising quality and quantity of posts (what type users do it?)

IMHO, some science questions are answered too fast as true or false. I won't deny that there are many crackpot ideas, especially on relativity.

The debate: Is biology a science? thread pointed out that neigther biology nor physics has ironclad logic.

Science has acknowledged many degrees of uncertainty:

Speculation

Conjecture

Hypothesis

Theory

Law

We should not throw something out as "untestable" if it has partial, as in the afterlife we should just acknoldge there is some evidence, but it's lacking in proof. While this probably belongs in philiosophy, let's talk about how we'll turn in into something more conclusive.

After all, Einstein is said to have used intution in relativity, although he got himself in trouble with "God doesn't play dice."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, Ha:

I can quite understand why the scientific community Does not like philosophy and religion. Both continually dare to remind hard science that it does not, and perhaps never will, know

the answer to life, the universe and everything

How terribly unsettling to those grand all-seeing egos.

Ban it immediately before the poor dears get a hissyfit and stamp their simian feet.

Raising quality and quanity will be difficult. Make this place a little more "new person" friendly. Have a section for beginners of scientific exploration. New Designs, new cool features. Make it attractive.

Then quality. The community makes that happen. You can't expect to attract a type of person and hope that method will work for all. Intelligent people are attracted to intelligent conversation. Make it a communal responsibility for quality. Which I think you guys do. Maybe a little stricter moderation.

Build it and they will come.

P.S.

Is my signature too "riskay"?

Thanks for asking the question. In addition to discussing it, we need to ask ourselves it. I did when I first went on the net, but 3 years and 2000+ posts on various forums have jaded me. Maintaining quality in forums can spark plenty of innovation: I've used info from the engineering forum to talk to politicians about renewables, I attempted a chain letter in international political forums to talk about Bush's mistakes to forums in swing states (since his approval rating is about 15% outside America in 2004). The net has some wild possibities, let's start using them to their fullest.

Anyone ever see orbscii from SFC?

Yeah... that's spamming and somehow getting away with it.

I approve of the many boards on SFN. They allow a person talk about something else than science; thus, allowing the boards to stay clutter-free.