raising quality and quantity of posts (what type users do it?)

It improves things IMO when SFN gets a lot of posts-per-day and also when the posts are high on my subjective quality scale----when they are INFORMED AND RATIONAL.

And, in line with the SFN name of "Science Forums and Debate" I tend to think that it increases the energy at the board when there is a lot of

informed and rational DISAGREEMENT.

I don't like to argue myself (and am extremely bad at it) but I appreciate it when others engage------instead of placidly agreeing with each other all the time.

It is entertaining, and it challenges people and brings out their best, to have the sparks fly now and then. Or so I think.

======================

So I was reading the thread about "POSTER OF THE YEAR" and I started thinking what kind of poster do we most need to energize SFN and make it more entertaining and raise the PPD count (the posts-per-day)

I used to track the PPD and include a monthly average in my sig. I got the impression that high PPD months were associated with CONTROVERSY. And with other factors too, for sure, but I cant think what they are-----women probably: having neat females posting probably raises the temperature of the board.

especially when they have a certain originality, or style, and dont just emanate platitudes----but that is true across the board for guys too, so maybe it is style rather than sex that I am talking about

=======================

Those are just my SPUR OF THE MOMENT GUESSES AND PREJUDICES. It would be interesting to hear what others think. So suppose you disregard what I have expressed as my hunches and you post your idea about

WHAT POSTER(S) OR TYPE OF POSTER WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE MORE OF TO RAISE THE TEMPERATURE of SFN or generate more energy or quantity and quality of postings.

Don't hesitate to use actual people as favorable examples---as long as you can give reasons why you'd like to see more of "people like so-and-so"

Examples of people can serve to illustrate what you mean.

I could mention a few exemplars, but i dont want to put too much spin on, so I will refrain.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT POSTER(S) OR TYPE OF POSTER WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE MORE OF TO RAISE THE TEMPERATURE of SFN or generate more energy or quantity and quality of postings.

Someone like you of course Martin, but they seem to be few and far between.

I miss Mokele too, whatever happened to him?

I don't like to argue myself (and am extremely bad at it) but I appreciate it when others engage------instead of placidly agreeing with each other all the time.

With all due respect Martin placidity comes with age...I'd like to see a true academic as yourself destroy the opposition with logic...I can think of a couple of experts who don't hold back.

The best debates come with those who stick to their guns..people like Severian, Bascule and IMM (there's plenty more that spring to mind...but you get the idea.)

The best debates are fiery, but concrete with reasoning and logic...I've found that a strong POV has the best knock-on effect to the next post, and keeps the argument going.

I think that the quality of posts would reach a whole new level if everyone would make it a point to actually read the post they are responding to. It's frustrating to explain something or make a point and then get a response based on something that I never said.

Also, to keep an open mind and not close your mind for just stupid and non-progressive debate also takes things a few notches down. If you make a stance, and you've been shown that you have done something wrong, don't continue backing your position just because you're in a debate. I've always thought that was stupid. It should be about taking the best girl home instead of leaving with the one you brought.

Also, the boob density seems to be rising. Whoever is in charge should probably ban everyone who pretends to be two different people in order to support their own arguments.

It would also be nice if policy was actually talked about in politics and not just spin.

Earth and Planetary Science, especially since we appear to be in a golden age of exploring new worlds, and Anthropology Forums may heat things up a little bit too.

I'm just happy to see that there seems to be a lull in threads talking about God and religion. There are better ways to waste your time.

I too anticipate the return of Mokele.

I think that the quality of posts would reach a whole new level if everyone would make it a point to actually read the post they are responding to. It's frustrating to explain something or make a point and then get a response based on something that I never said.

I've personally experienced that a lot...it's very annoying, to say the least.

Also, to keep an open mind and not close your mind for just stupid and non-progressive debate also takes things a few notches down. If you make a stance, and you've been shown that you have done something wrong, don't continue backing your position just because you're in a debate. I've always thought that was stupid. It should be about taking the best girl home instead of leaving with the one you brought.

There's a lot of ego's flying around here, however there's plenty of people who 's arguments are just as apt as their opposition...you can spot the people with weak arguments a mile away, and they still take their stance because they're too proud to admit defeat.

I'm just happy to see that there seems to be a lull in threads talking about God and religion. There are better ways to waste your time.

Some threads in this genre seem a bit petty...agreed, but some have spiralled into a debate that tackle larger issues, it doesn't always break down to POV.

It always helps to have someone arguing for the less popular side - otherwise it wouldn't be interesting. Like with Sostyles and pcs. I think its interesting to have people like them around (when they use logic and don't troll ;) ). It gets me pumped up and posting more often/longer. It's more fun to debate than discuss.

What I'd like to do is get the debate and projects forums going again. For example, if someone says "I can prove that relativity is wrong," move it to the challenges forum and wait for the fun to begin.

We also need intelligent people with different points of view. It's a lot more fun when you have a logical and intelligent person to argue against.

Buckets more of credentialed members with a background and enthusiasm for teaching and training. You have to wonder if Physicsforums grows because its homework help forums are stuffed with helpers. Just ask yourself, where does Tom Mattson spend most of his time?

Everybody else here seems to be honing in what goes on in the non-science forums (particularly Philosophy and Politics). Question, why hasn't h=16 been promoted to expert yet?

Oh, thicker skin would help. :D

Buckets more of credentialed members with a background and enthusiasm for teaching and training. You have to wonder if Physicsforums grows because its homework help forums are stuffed with helpers. Just ask yourself' date=' where does Tom Mattson spend most of his time?

Everybody else here seems to be honing in what goes on in the non-science forums (particularly Philosophy and Politics). Question, why hasn't h=16 been promoted to expert yet?

Oh, thicker skin would help. :D[/quote']

You answered the question I asked in post #1

I asked

You say

Buckets more of credentialed members with a background and enthusiasm for teaching and training.

And you illustrate with an example of growth (PF) and you point to what you suggest is a case of WASTED OPPORTUNITY, namely h=16.

Actually I think you are (or RevPrez was) a case of wasted opportunity. At one point I tried to suggest that you be promoted physics. the MIT background qualifies you...also I like your writing style which I think is remarkably organized and clear, for this venue.

I dont know h=16. I won't take your word that he she is good. i will go check.

You may be right that PF growth is based on expanding the mod/expert group----quite a high rate of turnover too. Recruit more as the old ones get inactive.

Actually I think you are (or RevPrez was) a case of wasted opportunity. At one point I tried to suggest that you be promoted physics. the MIT background qualifies you...also I like your writing style which I think is remarkably organized and clear, for this venue.

Can't speak for rev, but I'm not qualified to be an expert in physics, at least not for the bulk of topics in those forums. My background is in EE/CS. Add to that h=16's been piling away like a mo'fo through analysis, abstract algebra, topology and all that good stuff--I've barely scratched the surface of three of those. Maybe in a few years. :D

I dont know h=16. I won't take your word that he she is good. i will go check.

Definitely do that.

You may be right that PF growth is based on expanding the mod/expert group----quite a high rate of turnover too. Recruit more as the old ones get inactive.

SFN already has the core expert group, I don't think it's much larger than PF. But I know Tom's actually given online recitations over at PF, and something like that over here just might get the blood flowing. Of course, the reason you want a large number of PF's is to run into that lucky someone who has enough free time (for whatever reason :D) to go through an online text book.

Then there's the matter of attracting members actually willing to do the extra assignments. SFN's most active membership, if they're up to the challenge, should be enough to get that ball rolling.

Can't speak for rev' date=' but I'm not qualified to be an expert in physics, at least not for the bulk of topics in those forums. My background is in EE/CS. Add to that h=16's been piling away like a mo'fo through analysis, abstract algebra, topology and all that good stuff--I've barely scratched the surface of three of those. Maybe in a few years. :D

[/quote']

I looked for h=-16pi T posts

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/search.php?searchid=132053

and chanced on this one where he is talking with Severian about a problem in Peskin Schroeder QFT textbook

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?p=243580#post243580

from his profile it looks like he is largely self-taught and lives in

Lincolnshire UK

My god, he is 16 years old. 11th grader: a highschool junior by our way of counting.

======================

my guess is that if SFN decided to beef up the homework help section and if they invited you then you would agree to help out

you seem well-disposed and able

they probably won't ask, but to help on physics homework problems what you need is a solid first two years of college physics----like EE/CS majors probably do wherever you went (I have the impression MIT but no matter)

You don't need to know QFT to help with general physics homework.

the main thing I think is that you need to get some status here and some useful work to do otherwise ....

I have to go, cant finish the idea.

it was just declared my job to finish cooking supper

Personally I don't post much but there is almost no day that I don't log in to read the new posts. I enjoy the Forums as they are since they continue to attract a very wide variety of people with different backrounds, interests, culture, knowledge, etc. and I learn very much from many of you.

However, I remember that I was once private messaged by a moderator because I wasn't properly dividing my posts into paragraphs, using punctuation properly, and in general I was writing in a pretty relaxed style. I liked that because it maintains the quality of the forums and it gives a nice impression of formality and it is pretty annoying to find people not following these very simple rules and I wonder if it is because moderators are becoming more lax.

I looked for h=-16pi T posts

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/search.php?searchid=132053

and chanced on this one where he is talking with Severian about a problem in Peskin Schroeder QFT textbook

Yeah' date=' that's his most recent hsish.

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?p=243580#post243580

from his profile it looks like he is largely self-taught and lives in

Lincolnshire UK

My god, he is 16 years old. 11th grader: a highschool junior by our way of counting.

Dude, the dun's also one some high quality hsish; I mean just look through his posts, he's gone through the math and physics forums just devouring what he can; and that's only what he does here.

they probably won't ask, but to help on physics homework problems what you need is a solid first two years of college physics----like EE/CS majors probably do wherever you went (I have the impression MIT but no matter)

I agree, but looking at PF that's the problem. It looks like folks don't go there in their first two years or so if at all. But if they do, sure why not? I'll chip in. Maybe if revprez comes back he would too. :D

You don't need to know QFT to help with general physics homework.

No, but then just imagine how short my posts could be then. ;)

Stay drunk, I'm 26 today.

Martin,

And with other factors too, for sure, but I cant think what they are-----women probably: having neat females posting probably raises the temperature of the board.

Everyone likes pretty women in cute skirts :P

Those are just my SPUR OF THE MOMENT GUESSES AND PREJUDICES. It would be interesting to hear what others think. So suppose you disregard what I have expressed as my hunches and you post your idea about

Hmmm... I'm not sure this is really possible in the real world' date=' unless you have a built-in audience then you really cant attract a specific [i']type[/i] of user.

I've read a lot of forums, and I notice there are a few personality types that almost always generate lots of traffic:

- Teenagers, for whatever reason, like to make 20+ posts per day, and they'll do it for months at a time until they "burn out". They increase traffic, but may or may not increase quality. I remember a user on this board, Hellbender, whose profile said he made an average of 30 posts per day, I always liked his posts.

- Crackpots. Even though this is a science board, I think crackpots are a good thing, because you would be amazed how much valuable material can be contributed to a board from people rebutting a crackpot with his own pet theories about relativity or philosophy. And you'll be surprised how quickly your critical thinking skills willl be fine-tuned when you come across a persistant crackpot who can weasel his way through any semantic loophole. For instance, I owe all the laymens understanding I have on electricity and some higher level physics to reading the debates between intelligent people and crackpots.

- Almost all of the most heavy traffic forums I've ever seen have a lot of bells and whistles, like having lots of different smilies, flash games, and so on. Its a cheap way to generate traffic and user interest, but it works.

- A good way to increase the quality of posts is to award something like a monthly "Post of the Month", perhaps for various categories like "Most Science-y Post", "Funniest Post", "Most Original Thought" and so on. Doing that encourages to scope out interesting posts (in theory it means actively reading rather than passively skimming through posts) and contributing, because its sorta special for people to get recognized and compete for the best posts :)

- And more pretty women in cute skirts, that always works!

Thats all I can come up with off the top of my head :)

I agree with the Homework Help section; it's a place where people of all ages should be able to ask for help with questions, and not just confined to the individual fora themselves. My thoughts on the matter are that it would help if the Homework Help section is somewhere near the top of the page so that it gets used more. This also might encourage people to write there instead of elsewhere.

Thanks for your pointers IMM; I agree that pretty women in cute skirts would go a long way to helping along a science forum :) Unfortunately, science has a certain stigma attached to it which generally tends to put ladies off posting on here. I certainly wish this wasn't the case; you are a great example of a brilliant poster on here.

"Everyone likes pretty women in cute skirts"?

Except another of that ilk. Fight like cats. Miaow. Don't like the competition. Two pretty boys in tight trousers, now that is a different chemistry, but not to my taste.

"Crackpots"

Love them. They rattle cages and shake trees, they are the small boy who pointed out the king's nudity. They are the catalyst that turns a cosy incestuous discussion into a lively debate.

Bells and whistles

Too many flashy gimicks turn me off. It is just pandering to pop and "yoof" culture, and generally dumbing down. Quality and quantity do not generally make good bedfellows.

Beware of actively encouraging frequency and humour, for example. These should appear spontaneously. Do you want the forum overrun with quantity posters, and every topic flooded with weak and infantile 6th form humour? If that happens, I will tire of wading through the dross to find the occasional pearl, and will turn elsewhere. But perhaps I am one of those you would not mind losing.

(P.S. Perhaps that is why I have still not earned a dinky little red triangle. )