New Chemical Restrictions

rthmjohn

Most politicians are not interested in the needs for a few chemistry hobbyists, they are only interested in their electroral position. 99.9+% of all people in the USA will think this is a very good thing. It gives them a false sense of safety. They think that terrorists now will have a much harder time making their bombs.

The only thing which is reached with this kind of actions is that the people who want to experiment, who grow interest in science, will not be able to find their materials anymore :mad::-( . The terrorist finds the needed materials anyway. Do you really think that a terrorist buys 1 lb of KMnO4 from such a supplier to make his explosive? If he needs KMnO4 then he buys it at the 100kg-scale from some bribed supplier or he arranges something with a corrupt politician. He finds it anyway, cost is not important for such people....

Yeah but this would also effectively criminalize the hobby chemist. but then again it does open up a fun little area of research called "i can't buy this, how can i make it?" but would still be potentially illegal if you don't have a license. thank god i don't live in america.

well how Utterly Pathetic!

I wouldn`t mind, but having read the list, it`s hardly a bin laden style shopping list!

as Woelen pointed out, the stuff they use is either imported or stripped out of live shells and brought over by bribing officials or they use other stuff that simply doesn`t feature ANYWHERE on that list.

it`s basicly a political stunt to score brownie points from the ignorant public.

tossers!

I'm quite pissed myself; for one thing I own almost all of the chemicals on the list. Does this make me a threat to the country? Another thing is that there is no logic in banning chemicals. Is the ATF really afraid of terrorists, or are they just making a futile attempt to reduce petty crime? This is an infringement on our rights, and I really hope that these restrictions don't go into effect. I really love chemistry, but now it looks like I may not get to explore this beautiful area of science.

This is horrible. I think Woelen already mentioned this, but I think it's likely that this will get passed. Why? Because like it or not, the majority of the US is very ignorant of things like this. Most people will take one look and think, "Cool they want to outlaw some nasty sounding chemicals so I don't have terrorists blowing up buildings and stuff." If only they understood that anyone who needs those chemicals badly enough (terrorists) can easily get around these restrictions. One point being, what if a terrorist got the chemicals somewhere else? Wait a minute.. That's just nonesense.. Also, when was the last KMnO4 terrorist attack? You guys up in europe be glad. Rest assured that your in line also.. :-( This just goes to show the general peoples' ignorance.. Way to go Bush.. I forsee no less of a threat form terrorists, and a declined interest in science. Didn't I hear something about Bush wanting more science and math education? Way to go shoot yourself in the foot. Better that then your buddie's face I guess.. </rant> Sorry.

Bah how dare they even suggest such a thing. its hard enough toget supplies nt... they are doing it to increaese their profit margins I bet.

I hope they rot they'll get no dontion from me.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Bah how dare they even suggest such a thing. its hard enough toget supplies nt... they are doing it to increaese their profit margins I bet.

I hope they rot they'll get no dontion from me.

Cheers' date='

Ryan Jones[/quote']

Woah. Have you even read the link there Ryan or gone to http://www.cpsc.gov and checked out the other places they've already taken to court?

These are sad times for me... I wish there was something that could be done...:-(

There are a few things... (Order of probably use)

1) Protest

2) Find a government more sympathetic with home chemists and get them in.

3) Found our own country :D

Last two are a "bit" unlikley but there we go :(

Ryan Jones

Judging by some of the pyrotechnic questions asked by weirdos in these forums, I am not unhappy that some of their activities may be curtailed.

Restricting the sale of chemicals under the guise of anti-terrorism is, however empty gesture politics.

Restricting chemicals is easy however, as there is no organised anti pressure group.

Stricter control of guns would be more useful, but a political hot potato.

I wonder how many deaths in th U.S are caused by home chemistry and terrorist acts compared to deaths by shooting? I dont seem to have those statistics to hand, strange that.......

Judging by some of the pyrotechnic questions asked by weirdos in these forums' date=' I am not unhappy that some of their activities may be curtailed.

Restricting the sale of chemicals under the guise of anti-terrorism is, however empty gesture politics.

Restricting chemicals is easy however, as there is no organised anti pressure group.

Stricter control of guns would be more useful, but a political hot potato.

I wonder how many deaths in th U.S are caused by home chemistry and terrorist acts compared to deaths by shooting? I dont seem to have those statistics to hand, strange that.......[/quote']

I can see the statistics, not hard to gues which is higher.

There are more deaths from smoking and I don't see them banning that...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

This is a longshot, but every American home-chemist with a passion for science should consider writing their congressman about this absurd topic. We should definitely voice our opinions. The funny thing is that most of the people who replied to this thread do not live in the U.S. (sigh)

This is a longshot, but every American home-chemist with a passion for science should consider writing their congressman about this absurd topic. We should definitely voice our opinions. The funny thing is that most of the people who replied to this thread do not live in the U.S. (sigh)

Heh. Already done. :D

Beware the Thought Police!

it`s already happening, and due to public Apathy (as usual in todays age) no-one says or does anything about it anymore and it creeps in like some incideous poison until you have no rights at all, and by the time you realise it, it`ll already be too late!

Heh. Already done.

Way to go guys! Spread the word to your fellow scientist friends! I for one care enough about chemistry to take some action, and I'm glad to see that there are others out there who share the same feeling. This is not bogus, this is real. No efforts can be in vain.

Unite as one.

We must draw the line somewhere... the persecution must end because thats what it is. They should concentrate on the real issues to health such as global warming, smoking, alcoholism...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones