Annoying Myths

JustStuit

BTW, its been found that ice in restaurants contain more fecal matter than toilet water in the same restaurants. So just because a dogs mouth is "cleaner" doesnt mean you need to french kiss it. :P

While I find that hard to believe I can see what you are saying. What's your source for the ice/fecal matter? (I sure hope it's not true)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That site says virus (flu) cells. I'm pretty sure viruses aren't cells but the rest of the site might be accurate.

there is some debate about whether a virus is alive or not, but I think its 'body' cavity could still be called a cell.

The ice/toilet water thing was discovered by a 7th grader in Florida doing a science project, I believe. However, I think it was bacteria, not fecal matter that found to be more numerous in the ice.

The toilets get cleaned occasionally even in the worst restaurants, while everyone reaches into the ice bin all day and bacteria from their hands gets into the bin. Since ice bins don't get dirty, they never get cleaned.

The ice/toilet water thing was discovered by a 7th grader in Florida doing a science project' date=' I believe. However, I think it was bacteria, not fecal matter that found to be more numerous in the ice.

The toilets get cleaned occasionally even in the worst restaurants, while everyone reaches into the ice bin all day and bacteria from their hands gets into the bin. Since ice bins don't get dirty, they never get cleaned.[/quote']

A show called "The Myth Busters" also found simmilar results in an experiment simmilar too this.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

the most annoying myth ever has to be that a theory "is only a theory" and i doesn't meant that it applies all the time.

I am sorry, but this is such a stupid statement. You may as well disagree with the statement "a dog is only a dog" or "a law is only a law". It is quite clear that "a theory is only a theory" is 100% correct.

Furthermore, theories (in the scientific sense) are not always applicable. The theory of special relativity for example is not valid in accelerating frames of reference.

I am sorry' date=' but this is such a stupid statement. You may as well disagree with the statement "a dog is only a dog" or "a law is only a law". It is quite clear that "a theory is only a theory" is 100% correct.

Furthermore, [b']theories[/b] (in the scientific sense) are not always applicable. The theory of special relativity for example is not valid in accelerating frames of reference.

yeah i know. but i couldn't think of a better way to word it. I'm not s o good at the whole english thing even though its the only language i know. :D i was always better at maths and science

While I find that hard to believe I can see what you are saying. What's your source for the ice/fecal matter? (I sure hope it's not true)

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=25602

BTW, I also saw on CNN TV a few nights after I read this story, they sent reporters/scientists to restaurants in Chicago, NYC, Miami and LA and in all citys the restaurants they tested proved to have the same results... unsanitary. BTW when I said fecal matter I should have worded it as E.Coli bacteria. My bad.

I am sorry' date=' but this is such a stupid statement. You may as well disagree with the statement "a dog is only a dog" or "a law is only a law". It is quite clear that "a theory is only a theory" is 100% correct.

Furthermore, [b']theories[/b] (in the scientific sense) are not always applicable. The theory of special relativity for example is not valid in accelerating frames of reference.

Seems like you're itching to get into a semantic argument here. Let me clarify the distinction insane_alien was trying to make:

theory5fd.gif

Seems like you're itching to get into a semantic argument here. Let me clarify the distinction insane_alien was trying to make:

theory5fd.gif

It also gets annoying when people dismiss something because it is just a theory.

I think they used a flu virus grown in chicken eggs so they can't hurt humans. I don't think you're supposed to get a flu shot if you're allergic to eggs.

they grow it in eggs, since its the easiest way to do so. Its inactivated, but you can get the symptoms of the flu since those (fever, muscle pain, etc.) are general symptoms of an immune response, which is the whole point of the vaccine. however those symptoms will be much milder than getting the disease.

I'm afraid to eat out now. I don't eat out that much though so it won't be too bad.

Meh its not that bad, if they have fountain soda just ask for no ice, and if they have bottled drinks even better. Some restaurants allow you to bring your own wine so maybe a glass with dinner would suit you well, besides, wine once a day is good for your heart.

Meh its not that bad, if they have fountain soda just ask for no ice, and if they have bottled drinks even better. Some restaurants allow you to bring your own wine so maybe a glass with dinner would suit you well, besides, wine once a day is good for your heart.

I'll get bottled water or something. As for the wine, I'm 16 ;)

It also gets annoying when people dismiss something because it is just[/i'] a theory.

And I think that's what insane_alien was really trying to get at: people trying to apply the popular definition of "theory" as a guess or conjecture to science

"the founding fathers were all devout christians..."

I have examined all the known superstitions of the world' date=' and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth.

Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man.[/quote']

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/farrell_till/myth.html

http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2002/03/thomas-jefferson-quotes.php

http://dim.com/~randl/founders.htm

And I think that's what insane_alien was really trying to get at: people trying to apply the popular definition of "theory" as a guess or conjecture to science

Yeah thats what i was trying to say. damn my non-linguistic brain to the firey fathoms of hell! (ok i'll admit i used a thesaurus for that)

It's not a myth but I hate it when people believe things such as uncredible magazines, emails, or internet articles without proof or even some skepticism.

The deepest sin against the human mind is to believe things without evidence.

It's not a myth but I hate it when people believe things such as uncredible magazines, emails, or internet articles without proof or even some skepticism.

I love being a skeptic, so I made a blog about it. Random ideas from me.

Anyways, I agree. People like to believe whatever they read, even if it's from the Journal of Irreproducible Results.

Another myth: the whole stupid "we never landed on the moon thing" and its various incarnations. I remember one website showing graphs and charts of how it's impossible to reach speeds of greater than 2000 mph or something like that (based on the speeds of particular aircraft and their size, so all he did was ignore the fast ones).

Another myth: the whole stupid "we never landed on the moon thing" and its various incarnations. I remember one website showing graphs and charts of how it's impossible to reach speeds of greater than 2000 mph or something like that (based on the speeds of particular aircraft and their size' date=' so all he did was ignore the fast ones).[/quote']

do these people still believe this after we sent a rover to mars?

do these people still believe this after we sent a rover to mars?

That wasnt mars. It was a nasa studio sending back pictures of a red landscape (most likely painted or digitally mastered) witha bunch of rocks from outside. :rolleyes:

Oh btw, even though my great aunt was in a concentration camp, the holocaust didnt happen either. :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, that myth really pisses me off... I saw a pic of this mideast lady all covered up with a sign saying "Get ready for the real holocaust." I wanted to reach into my monitor and strangle her throat until she was nothing more than a cold motionless carcass... So the myth is "The holocaust never happened, even though people who survived it are still alive." :mad: