Acids?

BombFanatic

How do you make an extremely corrosive acid with houshold items. Wanted to see if I could burn a hole through cement and other strong items.

Sorry but you won't have any luck getting answers to these kinds of questions. And I don't think there is an acid that will "burn" a hole through cement.

sigh... another kewl.

Although... I was one briefly, I seen explosions on T.V. picked up a chemistry book to see how to make explosives and then fould out that there is a lot of even better stuff you can do and it doesn't involve explosions or anything. so i was a kewl for a bout 2 days and 5 hours. acids are relatively boring compared to some of the millions of other interesting chemicals out there.

Today my science teacher told me that the concentrated spinal chord acid can burn a hole in cement. But what about Hydrofluoric acid?

Hydroflouric acid is not a strong acid because the HF bond is so strong it does not disassociate readily in aqueous solution. However, if you got HF and cement (which forms through a complicated series of chemical reactions) some of the F may break the HF bond and react with the cement, but that's not you're HCl eating through paper type of reaction. That's F, an extremely reactive element, reacting with cement and H most likely leaving as gas, unless there's something else there it would rather combine with.

If your teacher told you that HF is a strong acid, he's a boob.

Note: You can't keep flourine in glass because it reacts with it. In fact, flourine is very hard to store because of its reactive nature.

Is Vinegar A Organic Acid.

Vinegar is a diluted solution of acetic acid, which is an organic (carboxylic) acid.

How Do You Make Iron Oxide?

You can put some iron outside and leave it alone. When it gets rusty, there's your Iron oxide.

A good acid is a blend of HCl and HNO3. It is called aqua regia or as the middle ages alchemists called it, the queen's bath. They used it to dissolve gold. Cement is alkaline and will neutralize any acid. Often limestone is added as an aggregate to make it stronger, which is also alkaline. Eventually you will make a hole but it won't be very exciting.

What are very interesting chemicals are food chemicals. When you cook an egg or add oil, water, flour, sugar, etc., one came get all types of complex chemical structures. Popcorn is cool. If you grid it into a paste and heat it, it still pops.

• 2 weeks later...

well, technically yes, but in reality, no.

the limestone would react to neutralize the acid, making it effectively non-corrosive. however, this reaction does yield heat, which would make any remaining acid more corrosive. but in reality, no. and why the graham condenser?

Sorry to go completly off topic but why does popcorn pop?

Regarding the comment sunspot made, AFAIK, if you grind popcorn into a paste, it will no longer pop.

The reason popcorn pops is because the water in the kernel is heated (while it's in the microwave) and coverts to steam. The steam has no where to go, so the pressure builds up, and when the kernel has too much pressure, it pops, and you get your fluffy, white popcorn.

Interesting thanks

Regarding the comment sunspot made, AFAIK, if you grind popcorn into a paste, it will no longer pop.

Actually after reading sunspots post I tried it myself and yes it does work. Kernels are damn hard to crush though.