Half-Life 2 - "~"

-Demosthenes-

We just got Half-Life 2, and it's really cool. We've been playing a while, and decided to see what some cheats could do. Where I look I can only find that I should either push the "~" key, or edit the short cut on the desktop and then use the "~" key in the game to bring up a console and enter in the cheats. Neither have worked, the "~" doesn't bring up a console of any type. I am running the game through "STEAM," and I was wondering if anyone could help me with the cheats :D.

Hey! I am the hugest HL fan. Been playing since the first one came out.

Anyhow, to your question.

To have the console enabled, do the following.

1. Start up steam

2. Click on the my games tab.

3. Right click on half-life 2.

4. select properties

5. click launch options

6. enter the following without quotes "-console -dev"

7. Start hl-2!

There you go!

Aren't "`" and "~" on the same key? "Shift" + "`" = "~"

Anyway, last night I was trying some things, and I created a new shortcut from the file and added the "-console." I opened in from that shortcut and not through STEAM. It worked, but STEAM no longer has HL2 as installed, and insists that I must install it again to play it through STEAM. How do I fix this?

There are a few minor differences between the symbols on American and British keyboards.

British keyboard:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/KB_United_Kingdom.svg/540px-KB_United_Kingdom.svg.png

American keyboard:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/KB_United_States.svg/540px-KB_United_States.svg.png

So for example when I (living in the UK) instal Windows I have to ensure that the keyboard settings are set for UK otherwise it's just weird!