Cold/Flu Remedies ?

YT2095

the onset of what seems to be a head cold started last night, sore throat, blocked sinusses, head ache etc...

I took some paracetamol and a Vit C 1000mg and hoped for the best.

then I remebered hearing a Scientist say that Vit C has no effect at all on the common cold or Flu?

two questions here:

1) why is it we can have Flu shots and they work and yet there`s nothing for the common cold?

2) does anyone have any tried and tested old or new recipe`s to either cure or help with the really irritating symptoms of a cold or flu?

and is there any Science behind these ideas such as Chicken soup with plenty garlic and black pepper (other than it`s really yummy and makes you feel better).

Vitamins are things our bodies need which they can't synthesise (vital minerals or something). I don't think vitamin C has any direct effect on the 'flu or a cold though, but if you are normally deficient you would benefit by taking the tablets.

1) Flu shots are a type of immunisation. They usually work by injecting either viruses that have been treated with heat to make them inactive, or synthesised proteins. Either way your immune system mounts a small immune response, and 'remembers' the particular antigens (proteins from the coat of the virus) for later. This lets your immune system respond faster when an actual infection occurs. You need to do this before the infection so you're body is prepared.

2) The best thing is to stay warm I think, that's why they call it a cold, you get it when you're cold.

Soup is warm.

By the way, there are anti-viral drugs, some of which are designed for the 'flu but, I don't know how effective (or cheap!) they are.

Due to the nature of flu and cold viruses (rhinoviruses), there is no 'cure'. The influenza vaccine is produced to protect 'at risk' groups, as flu can be lethal to these people. The best you can do is to treat the symptoms and protect against secondary infections. These are usually opportunist bacterial infections which take advantage of the fact your immunocompetence is compromised by the initial viral infection.

To deal with the main symptoms and help prevent secondaries do the following: If you get a temperature, take paracetomol to reduce it. Drink plenty of fluids. Keep warm. Rest a lot.

It's true that vitamin C has no direct effect on the flu virus, however iirc it is an essential component of the cell membrane matrix and as such will be in great demand during a flu infection.

As Skye said, you can't synthesise vit C and it's also water-soluble so it does not stay in the body for long. Hence a boosted intake during colds and flu infection will actually help.

That's true, but I believe Vit.C has a possible role in preventing colds (or the development of acquired immunity). Once you have succumbed to a cold, it's of little use.

The principle problem with vitamins is that people get the idea that vitamins = good, but then conclude that (therefore) lots of vitamins = very good. Consequently, with the huge money spinning trade in vitamin suppliments, cases of hypervitaminosis are appearing with rapidly increasing frquency, mainly due to the ingestion of vitamins A & D (these are fat soluble and not easily excreted and so accumulate in fatty tissue, particularly the liver). Even Vit. C is harmful in excessive amounts (particularly in children) causing intestinal disturbances and kidney damage.

Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming, as home remedies especialy the old one fascinate me.

Good news however, I think it was just a 24 hour thing that I had, I seem to be almost back to normal today and the sore throat`s all but gone :)

there`s an old Gypsy recipe for sore throats that seems to have worked for me in the past, I`de like to know why (scientificly) it works;

Slice some onions in rings and lay them on a plate, then pour honey over them, let them sit for a day, pour off the liquid and use it as normal cough/sore throat medicine.

and no, it`s doesn`t taste as bad as it sounds :)