How To Make ...

KFC

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear pure potassium is dangerous and hard to get but I can't remember.

Sodium can be made from the electrolysis of NaOh which I don't think is too hard to get. It is very reactive.

You can get hydrogen from mixing metals with acids.

Magnesium is made by electrolysis of magnesium chloride i believe.

Elemental sulphur can be found in nature.

I think nitrogen is produced through distillation but this may be difficult.

I don't know any more about nitrous oxide than I posted in other thread

I don't know what the last one is.

In the lab it is easy to get oxygen from the decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide. You can decompose it by heating it above 80 degrees celsius or by adding a catalyst like a metal.

If for 9 you meant caesium I don' think you'll be able to get that easily since it is extremely reacting... or maybe you did mean capsaesum?

And I don't think it'll be easy to get Na by the elecctrolysis of NaOH or NaCl because it'll also rather stay in the aqueous solution.

Why do you need to make those? Some of those are quite unusual.

Best thing to do is research via Google - should start you off. Be warned, research the chemicals before you try and make them, if they are toxic and you don't know it you could have problems later...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

KFC, your question does not look very smart. Why do you want to make all these materials? I understand that you want to do nice experiments, but if that is what you want, then ask yourself other questions and try to get some knowledge about the subject.

So, instead of trying to find out how to make all those chems, try to learn yourself some basic chemistry and buy a good book on the subject. Especially older books can be a really rich source of information about common and particular compounds. Try to obtain some of these. If you have some knowledge, then you'll discover that you want completely different chems than the ones you listed in your post.

Making the chems from your list is hard or impossible for the home-chemist without knowledge and equipment. The only feasible ones from household materials are oxygen (from H2O2) and hydrogen (acid + zinc) or electrolysis of water with a suitable electrolyte and suitable electrodes.

Yes potassium and sodium can both give you some great burns relatively easily.

Cellulose nitrate

http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/NI/nitrocellulose.html

Gives you another example of why you reserch....

Very flammable. May explode or ignite without warning when dry.

Nitrous oxide

http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/NI/nitrous_oxide.html

Explosions have occurred with ether-nitrous oxide mixtures. Spontaneous ignition occurs when nitrous oxide and [REMOVED] or [REMOVED] are mixed.

Potassium

http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/PO/potassium.html

Very harmful by ingestion or through skin or eye contact. May cause irreversible eye damage. May cause serious skin burns.

etc.

Certain things removed by me - don't want the kewls finding it :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Cellulose nitrate really can't "explode" per se unless it is confined. Hence it's use as "guncotton". The chances of it spontaneously combusting or exploding are really pretty slim. I mean, ping-pong balls are made out of cellulose nitrate, albeit a stabilized form of it turned into a plastic of sorts. I have yet to see cellulose nitrate suddenly catch fire when dry. It is, however, INCREDIBLY flammable and will burn very readily and quickly if ignited.

As for sodium/potassium, they are really nasty buggers in a molten state. The liquid metal will eat through your flesh quite rapidly.

Cellulose nitrate really can't "explode" per se unless it is confined. Hence it's use as "guncotton". The chances of it spontaneously combusting or exploding are really pretty slim. I mean' date=' ping-pong balls are made out of cellulose nitrate, albeit a stabilized form of it turned into a plastic of sorts. I have yet to see cellulose nitrate suddenly catch fire when dry. It is, however, INCREDIBLY flammable and will burn very readily and quickly if ignited.

[/quote']

Yes thats true... It burns VERY well but as YT2095 said making it is a bad idea because there are some nasty chemicals involved. I don't think it would be a good idea to post the names here as it would violate the TOS...

As for sodium/potassium' date=' they are really nasty buggers in a molten state. The liquid metal will eat through your flesh quite rapidly.[/quote']

That brings up some nice images... :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

the problem is largely Impurities with "home-made" NC, and when I hear of idiots trying to make it with Toilet paper or kitchen paper it never ceases to amaze me how foolish some folks can get, in addition to cellulose being present you`ve no idea what Other addatives are in the paper (glues, dyes etc...) nitrating these things is just begging for trouble!

secondly the process of purification afterwards is ignored, NC IS dangerous and will as Jdurg pointed out Detonate if confined (think of the caps in Powder activated nail guns and the damage they can do with miligrams of it!).

any acid traces left over (and it`s very hard to neutralise it all in celulose) can and will (and has) made the lot catch on fire without apparent cause when dry, it`s Very unpredictable.

the risks are far too great for the result, may as well just buy the stuff! :)

KFC' date=' your question does not look very smart. Why do you want to make all these materials? I understand that you want to do nice experiments, but if that is what you want, then ask yourself other questions and try to get some knowledge about the subject.

So, instead of trying to find out how to make all those chems, try to learn yourself some basic chemistry and buy a good book on the subject. Especially older books can be a really rich source of information about common and particular compounds. Try to obtain some of these. If you have some knowledge, then you'll discover that you want completely different chems than the ones you listed in your post.

Making the chems from your list is hard or impossible for the home-chemist without knowledge and equipment. The only feasible ones from household materials are oxygen (from H2O2) and hydrogen (acid + zinc) or electrolysis of water with a suitable electrolyte and suitable electrodes.[/quote']

I Just Want to Make Some Chemicals For a Home Lab

And Its Easy Make Hydrogen and Oxygen. To make it you Electrolyze Equal Parts Water and Sodium Chloride . But both Electodes have to by pieses of Graphite. Hydrogen will be the small bubbles and Oxygen will be the larger bubbles.

I Just Want to Make Some Chemicals For a Home Lab

I posted the page on setting up a home lab in one of your other threads.

And Its Easy Make Hydrogen and Oxygen. To make it you Electrolyze Equal Parts Water and Sodium Chloride . But both Electodes have to by pieses of Graphite. Hydrogen will be the small bubbles and Oxygen will be the larger bubbles.

In this way you don't get hydrogen and oxygen, but hydrogen and the very poisonous chlorine. Only the anode (positive pole) needs to be graphite, the cathode may be copper wire or any metal piece.

Enjoy coughing up your lungs if you inhale what you think is the oxygen.

Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy Crap

If You Inhale It Once Does It Stich Around or Is It Just As you Inhale It!!!

I Don't Feel Any Different Could There Be Anything Wrong?

Well,they are not things you want inside you...

Chlorine is nasty stuff at the best of times and hydrogen would act much like helium I guess...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

hydrogen would act much like helium I guess...

Not quite. it would make your voice high like helium(it would be even better at it) but since hydrogen is reactive it will get into your blood stream and that can cause a few problems.

A thing to remember when handling chlorine is, Chlorine was used in gas bombs in the trenches in world war 1 and possibly 2 .

if the chlorine is strong enough to smell it i would advise leaving the room until it has dispersed. and always have a window open or better yet do it outside away from peopleand animals.

Not quite. it would make your voice high like helium(it would be even better at it) but since hydrogen is reactive it will get into your blood stream and that can cause a few problems.

Thats true.... not that I would like to try and see anyway...

On a gas note, if it true that breathing pure [ce]O2[/ce] will kill you?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Ryan: it will eventually kill you yes. if its only a few little wiffs you'll be fine but if its prolonged then you'll die. we actually need carbon dioxide to breathe since it controls our breathing rate. if there is none then we will actually stop breathing unless we conciously control it. and you can't keep that up for long, or know how fast you need to breath to keep from hyper ventilating or going hypoxic