Neuroscience books

Hi,

it really depends on your background. Neurosience these days is a very multidisiplinary area. There are numerous different levels at which can study the brain. I would recommend 'Essentials of Neural Science and Behaviour' by Kandel, Schwartz and Jessell - I think there are a view different versions of this book. You should read a couple of good psychology texts as well, maybe someone good suggest a good one. The distinction between neuroscience and psychology is rapidly decreasing - in my view anyway.

Background again. Neuroscience can be studied at a purely biological level but it you are interested in 'how the brain works' then you really need focus on higher level interpretations. I would recommend some serious maths revision starting with linear algebra, stats and information theory, optimisation, dynamic systems theory and probably a whole bunch of other stuff.

I guess it would be usefull to read a few 'philosophy of the mind' books as well to provide some kind of overview.

Most neuroscience researchers will already have exprience with maths, biochemistry or physics.

It really does depend on where you are coming from and what you want to achieve. If you can tell me that then I can suggest what to do next. Its a big subject.

Edit: spelling

Ah thanks for the suggestions ashennell. I guess what I really would like to get into is the connection between synapses in the brain as well as the various chemicals in the brain, dopamine, endomorphins and the like...bit of a broad overview i guess heh but that's my narrowing down ;)