bendy lamps !

adsl1981

I have an idea, but I may have to draw it in order for it to be understandable... I'll try explaining though. Have an extendable arm attached to the wall (a tube inside a wider tube). Where the tube is attached to the wall, make this a horizontally rotatable joint. Make the attachment to the TV be horizontally rotatable joint as well. This should allow you to move the TV to whatever position you like.

I'll try an ascii drawing here to see if that helps:

Overhead view:

|\                            |
| |                           |
| |                          ++
| |                          ||
| |\ __________+------------/ |
| |=C__________|           C  |   WALL
| |/           +------------\ |
| |                          ||
| |                          ++
|/                            |

TV
   ^          ^              ^
  Joint   Extension      Mount/Joint

Just an idea, but I think this is more plausible than the bendable sturdy structure.

There would be an enormous force on that extension and the joints with the TV and wall. It (extension/joints) would have to be very strong to keep it up. Unless the TV is very light weight.

Aye there would... perhaps some sort of leg under the TV? Or some sort of wire attachment to the ceiling for support. If only they made TV's that were more box-shaped instead of flat... then we could just set them on carts with wheels :D

Make the attachment to the TV be horizontally rotatable joint as well.
Why would you want to horizontally rotate a TV? For people who lean?

There are more versatile wall/ceiling mounted designs that have the added benefit of already being on the market and relatively cheap (US$40-75). I can't figure out why the floor stands for plasma TVs are US$700+. It seems astronomically high.

Bendy technology and TVs just aren't meant to mix, I'm afraid. Better to have some kind of ball joint on a mounting arm that is very rigid but will move reluctantly under the weight of a 10kg TV. I still think it's such a specialty market there wouldn't be much demand for it.