Why do some vegetarians/Vegans think...

Teri

that they are not doing the same as meat eaters and killing a life?

Who says the corn wants to be cultivated in a square field? Then reaped to be cut down and eaten? Why can't its seed be left to create more corn?

Who says the the carrot wants its food reserve to be traken from it for its leaves to wither and die?

Yes there are cruel means of killing animals used and they SHOULDN'T torture them to kill them or house them in bad conditions.....but also plants are living things too and when you cut them they bleed-maybe not blood but their equivalent of a circulatory system fluid.

So in the end who really cares more about nature and loves plants/animals? neither of us carnivores or herbivores alike; we eat to survive and like lions who rip the flesh of the antelope or such other animals and even occasionally graze on some grass we kill other LIVING THINGS to gain nutrition.

Lets just try and do it without torture but to claim your vegetarian/vegan because eating animals is bad is down right hypocritical-poor plants devoured everyday also like animals all the same.

I appreciate all that I eat everyday whether from animal or plant life but I still have canines for a reason and one stomach not two.

Just a thought not the gospel truth.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but how do u know that plants dont have pain maybe not a thought processed pain but for example the shock of losing leaves, limbs, fruit etc causing them to cease living.

what says both plants or animals shouldnt be eaten? How is it not natural to eat animals? or a bad thing?

well what he says is true . even i'm a veggie but not because i care about hurting animals.it's just because it's in our culture.yes plants may also be feeling the pain but their number is definetly more when compared to the animals. hey u can cut a vegetable and the plant may produce more , but u can't just cut a limb and expect the same.

There is scientfic and[/i'] anecdotal evidence to show that animals feel pain and are affected by pain. The same is not true for plants.

Try this: http://www.department13designs.com/vegan.html

I have come across several "fringe investigations" into plants and pain. This one is particularly interesting. It notes attempts by Vegans to have the findings suppressed. Beware the growing power of the vegan propaganda machine! Is this another anti-scientific heresy being promoted unconstitutinally like creationist doctrine?:D

If a serious searcher of truth via the scientific method such as yourself is unaware of the evidence, then I am concerned that you have already succumbed to their insidious brainwashing campaign:D

Try this: http://www.department13designs.com/vegan.html

I have come across several "fringe investigations" into plants and pain. This one is particularly interesting. It notes attempts by Vegans to have the findings suppressed. Beware the growing power of the vegan propaganda machine! Is this another anti-scientific heresy being promoted unconstitutinally like creationist doctrine?:D

I think you're overestimating the power of the vegan movement over the media.

The group of mammals that have three to four stomachs are called ruminants...cows' date=' sheep, goats have four stomachs...camels three. This link shows the digestive anatomy of a cow, hope it helps...

[/quote']

but if you think about it, compare the stucture of a carnivore eg a dog to that of a human. dogs are fast, they can hunt much better, they can tollerate raw meat etc. but look at humans, were comparativly slow, our meat has to be cooked, and lets face it, if it wasnt for the chance discovery that a spear to the heart will kill a boar, then we never would have hunted. however, humans have longer legs and are adept at walking long distances (handy for going from fruit tree to fruit tree) and our teeth are better at eating an apple than a steak. i could go on, but i dont want to bore you :)

Why do assume that all vegetarians don't eat meat because they care about animals?

I'm a vegetarian, but I'm certainly not an animal right's activist.

Bravo. I'm a vegetarian, and my job is "vivisection." Environmentally, it's a far more sustainable diet. The additional annual carbon dioxide required to provide a meat-based diet (energy loss further up the food chain, refrigeration, trucking for feed, the animals themselves) vs. a plant-based one is equivalent to the annual CO2 produced by a car. I really don't care about the animals involved in agriculture very much at all.

The group of mammals that have three to four stomachs are called ruminants...cows, sheep, goats have four stomachs...camels three. This link shows the digestive anatomy of a cow, hope it helps...

The additional stomachs allow time for bacteria to break down cellulose that is a major dietary component of ruminants. Even us vegetarians don't typically eat grass or wood.

but I still have canines for a reason

Oh, really? Are you in the habit of tearing into the raw flesh of animals with your teeth? Or do you eat softened, cooked meat with a knife and fork?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm vegetarian, and look at that, NOT obese, NOT unhealthy, and NOT cancerous. Aslo, it takes one tenth the land to feed a vegetarien as an "omnivore". So my interest in vegetarianism is strictly health-related.

Oh, and enviromental.

I am an omnivore. I eat plants, animals and artificial things created in factories. I prefer my plants live, my animals dead and the artificial things before the expiration date. If evolution is based on selective advantage, than being an omnivore would give me that advantage because I could more easily survive anywhere.

eruheru.

If you look at human anatomy, we are lousy plant eaters, and lousy carnivores as well. Our teeth are not carnivorous, but they are not massive enough for serious grinding of plants either. Our digestive system is seriously limited. It is closer to carnivore than herbivore, but not quite right for either.

The answer to this question is that we had had technology, be it so primitive, for a hell of a long time. Very crude stone tools have been found with Australopithecus remains. It is probable that the use of fire (soot deposits with old pre-human remains) is almost as old. Thus, cooking. Since we have easy food, softened by cooking, evolution has reduced both our teeth and our gut.

Killing animals for food is something that dear old Mother Nature invented long before humans came on the scene. Pretty much every wild animal has to be constantly alert for predators, or else die rather quickly. Mother Nature's deaths are often really painful, terrifying and nasty. I think the way humans do it in the western world is a vast improvement, and I feel no guilt about biting into a juicy steak!