highest scale of quantum phenomena

gib65

I know that quantum phenomena (superposition, uncertainty principle, quantum entanglement, probablistic outcomes, etc.) is readily observed in measurements of the states of fundamental particles. How readily are these phenomena observed at higher scales? Take atoms, for example. Has anyone ever observed atoms in superposition? What about complex molecules? Groups of molecules? How far up the ladder of scale can one go before quantum phenomena become practically unobservable?

You can't observe something in superposition, well, technically maybe you can, but the second you do observe it the atom is no longer in a superposition.

The double slit experiment works on molecules up to the size of a buckminsterfullerene (and I actually spelt that correctly!) which is 60 carbon atoms bonded together.

You could probably go a bit bigger, maybe it has already been done, but I doubt you'd get much bigger than the C60 molecule.

• 1 month later...
'']Man thats pretty neat, I didn't know they could get so big and still observe those effects.

Some people think it can actually be done with things as big as bacteria although - sounds pertty strange and no-one has done it yet so it may not be possible.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones