New PC

blike

:)

Hi,

Don't know much about pcs and certainly not the least amount to give u guys any kind of suggestion, but would like to say that - whenever I hear someone's getting a new pc it almost feels like I am getting a new one. So just would like to wish u good luck........

What happened to ur old one ???????????

Neo

neo_maya said in post #3 :

Hi,

Don't know much about pcs and certainly not the least amount to give u guys any kind of suggestion, but would like to say that - whenever I here someone's getting a new pc it almost feels like I am getting a new one. So just would like to wish u good luck........

What happened to ur old one ???????????

Neo

Oops, sorry for posting same thing twice, just had to make some corrections.

• 6 months later...

Agree on build it yourself. HP's suck. Their PS's blow. Heard they have been shaping up though, they have good deals if its not required for maximum performance or upgradability. Cheap, and sometimese even free monitors. Havn't looked at other MFGR's. Maybe even the Mac G5 would be a choice... its rather amazing. Check it out if you can.

Any MB should be an ASUS. I am now a lifetime follower of ASUS. Their MB's are packed w/ features. I think their focus is on intel more, since it is mass produced more than AMD but that could be slowly changing.

And yes, thermaltake case would be a defenate. but god, the wires on their new damier line is crazy. Total of 5 fans on the case. Not counting any on the MB or PS. But it is defenately a good case. I have one and love it. Rather loud though.

Find deals on ram, CD-RW DVD -/+ R/RW's, ram, gfx cards. Can really cut down on building costs with rebates.

I dont know anyone who actually has a pre-built computer at all! :) everyone i know builds their own. I agree with all of fafs specs, but depends if ya have a budget or not.

ABIT Ic7g mother board would be good.......real good :( i want one

heh, in my house... we have 4 pre built. Compaq(my old one) HP(mom's) IBM PS/1(First PC, 25mghz:-\) and a Gateway we got from an uncle that died. Mine is pre built, but not from a major MFGR, got it from PCUSA.com.

The IC7-G MB looks ok. My ASUS P4S800D-E Delux has the same basic stuff. But lots of features. It can talk, it has just about any connection you can have FS, BP, PS... whatever. Its there. Only thing, its not made for the Thermatake Intruder connection, that was kind of a downer, but can live without.

Has a SiS655 TX chipset which actually runs hotter than my P4 chip at all times. Normally, no activity SiS is at about 100F, P4 arround 85F. I log on to vzones, graphical world. SiS goes up to about 107F, P4 is arround 92F. So its working harder than my P4, guess it could of been a better chipset but it still gets the job done.

Looked for reports on chipsets, but found next to nothing. The i875 and SiS655 were both rated at the top of their class, but not much more than that.

The AMD's run the hottest i find, my XP220+ Athlon is cooking and i only got it up to 2800. Needs some serious cooling........must get a volcano heatsink and fan....

Blike do ya have a budget cause i seen some awesome monitors if ya dont

If you were going to be building your own PC now (which I might be again in a few weeks because my server died), then I'd recommend going for the Athlon64 processor, because it kicks some serious ass. Only thing is, I don't know whether Windows supports it or not - doesn't really matter for me, I run linux :)

Intel's 64 bit processors really do suck atm. I could be very wrong (and possibly am), but IBM's PowerPC64 is apparently very fast (the one they've been using in the G5's), but I haven't got any comparisons, so I don't really know which is faster.

If you are going to go for a branded PC I would only consider Dell (I have a lot of experience with their computers, which I've found to be pretty good unlike thier hard-sell tactics when you call them) the rest just aren't up to much at all.

Personally I would build my own as this will give you a lot more freedom and work out cheaper in the end. As long as you stick with quality components there isn't really much of a difference other than preference so I'm not going to tell you why you must have X motherboard instead of Y but here are my recommendations:

64 bit AMD probably isn't worth it at the moment. There's very little software that can make full use of the architecture at the moment and there is a big premium on the cost as they are so new.

It's worth researching motherboards and RAM as they are critical to the speed, performance and longevity of your system. If you're going to spend more on anything do it here.

Get a decent case and power supply. My favourite cases are Lian Li. All aluminium and great to work in. I would go for a minimum 400W PSU - especially as more and more cases are being loaded with fans.

SATA hard drives are pretty sweet.

CD/DVD etc. bleh - I hardly ever use them so I just put any old junk in there! Seperate CD ROM and RW drives will be better if you want to copy media.

Umm - that's about it. Don't get too involved in the arguments over exactly the best hardware - it all kinda boils down to how much you pay and what you want to do with it.

And finally...

If you aren't in any major rush then it might be an idea to wait for the release of the BTX form factor MB's, predicted 2nd quarter of this year, as they are set to be the next 'big thing'. It's even possible that after their release the cost of ATX systems will go down.

Get a decent case and power supply. My favourite cases are Lian Li. All aluminium and great to work in. I would go for a minimum 400W PSU - especially as more and more cases are being loaded with fans.

To be fair, fans don't consume a hell of a lot of power. These are my machine specs (or at least the major ones):

Asus P4P800 Motherboard (which I'd recommend, it's an excellent mobo)

P4 3.00GHz (800MHz fsb model)

512Mb PC3200 RAM (go for the dual channel stuff, it's a lot faster)

120GB SATA drive (which I use for doze)

80GB ATA drive (which I use for linux)

Radeon 9800 Pro (which I use for some kickass graphics ;))

It's all in a very nice chieftec case with 4 silent case fans (2 intake, 2 exhaust), all running on a good quality (and that's important) 340W PSU that came with the case. All runs fine, no stability issues, and the CPU is at a more-or-less constant 25 degrees celcius, apart from when it gets really processor intensive.

I would say that unless you're in a desperate hurry, wait a couple of months for the new AMD's and see how they go. They look set to be pretty damn fast, but as mossoi pointed out, they're quite pricey atm.

Of course, using linux, the fact that I use a distribution in which I compile everything means I have the ability to tune compiler flags, so I can get some pretty good performance out of one :)

But they have pictures of aliens on them, that's worth adding the extra $1000. PC Gamer built a 64 bit AMD athon with top of the range spec's (1 gig ram etc), minus monitor, for just over £1500. Alienware will sell you the same spec for only £2,722.48.