how to know when your addicted to SFN..

insane_alien

you`ve been of the net for a few days and sit looking at your monitor aimlesly for ages and don`t know why, then suddenly you have a brainwave to undelete every single possible file off your HDD and load explorer hoping to get just a few more cache files that still load while working offline.

that happened to me too! and I was only off line for just over a week, mind, I looked at my ebay cache and any other cache that would work, it`s the internet fullstop that`s "addictive" (if that`s at all possible).

I found it quite remarkable just How many times during a day I think to myself "Hmm.. I`ll go and look that up on Google" only to realise that I couldn`t.

if it wasn`t for the fact that all my books were all still packed and there was no discovery science chan either, I`de be quite disapponted in myself for being so internet relliant.

You hear Eintstein and immediatly get ready to disprove their "theory".

In your nightmares only "pseudoscience" threads show up on SFN.

You label people as intelligent, creationist, or monkey. (intelligent design, creationist, or evolution)

You are stranded on a island find yourself looking for speculations to disprove.

You hear troll and don't think of a creature.

You replace "talk" and "post" often.

Your friends say you are asocial and you're like not uh, I post every night.

You learned [math]Latex[/math].

hmm..can't think of more. I'm not too good at this.

Ah' date=' but the true test of nerdom is when you learn how to write it [math']\mbox{ \LaTeX}[/math].

Edit: That is actually surprising hard to do in a math environment!

Ah. I never knew how to do that. I'm guess I'm just a bad nerd. Does that make me popular?

SFN is your homepage (and has been for over a year)

When debating with friends about a particular subject, you use SFN member's names to refer to their specific arguments (that one has gotten me some wierd looks).

When you're the 12th highest poster and SFN, and are proud of it.

You accidently call you father "blike."

You look foward to making a new post on SFN whenever you hear a cool science fact or have a question.

All the above apply to me, btw... and I'm sure I've got more.

When I'm so engrossed with a good debate I forget to go to the off-licence.

I've also been know to scalk away upstairs at parties and peruse SFN for some intellectual relief...not that any of my friends aren't bright, quite the opposite...I just can't help myself, hmm, perhaps we should start an SFN's anonymous group.

Hi, my names Snail...and yes, I'm an SFNolic, I've been abusing SFN for nearly 10 months now, and I'm very much in denial (tear rolls down cheek.)

I've also been know to scalk away upstairs at parties and peruse SFN for some intellectual relief...not that any of my friends aren't bright' date=' quite the opposite...I just can't help myself, hmm, perhaps we should start an SFN's anonymous group.

Hi, my names Snail...and yes, I'm an SFNolic, I've been abusing SFN for nearly 10 months now, and I'm very much in denial (tear rolls down cheek.)[/quote']

Wow... I definately have done that too. It's gotten my gf pissed at me a couple of times.

Un/fortunately I'm not addicted to SFN yet!(that's because I'm addicted to another science forum) but I know what are the symptoms:

1. you invite your close friends here or at least they know about here and make jokes about it.

2. you want to edit what you've said.

3. you never log out!

4. you think 'what a damnable day' when you can't start your day by checking SFN posts!

5. you think you've done nothing if you don't post here during the day!

6. you think you have very great willpower when you decide not to post here and you don't!(and you know why some people can't quit smoking, drinking,...)

7. you want to use smilies at letters!

When you are comparing answers in aim and write it in [math]

\mbox{ \LaTeX}

[/math] thinking it would work.

holy crap... I've done that too. It seems as if SFN addicts are sharing similiar experiances with their addictions... is there a support group available? SA? :P

• 2 weeks later...

how about this........ the first and last thing you do in your computer class is go on SFN.

what you go into a library for.

the reason you want the internet in the first place.

you sound ticked when you tell people your computer has absolutly no internet capabilities.

yes this has happend to me before. but not with a forum