-0.5 and -1

rakuenso

hi a question:

is -0.5 half as large as -1, or is -0.5 twice as large as -1

this came up on our physics test...

since -0.5 > -1, meaning -0.5 that its larger than -1, so saying something that's half as large would imply that its smaller? which clearly isn't the case....

Negative and positive numbers are analogous..if you remember that it's hard to slip up.

EDIT: Quick note, as a physics question, -0.5 is greater than -1 with regards to temperature. So from a physics perspective, it's kind of a trick question.

(A) the same, would be my answer.

the potential is a property of the SOURCE charge, the fact that there's a test charge is irrelevant

also connor, imagine this:

source

(-)0V----------------x---------y

Point Y would have a bigger potential than X, so it can't be half

for this example the -q may as well be Zero potential with + and _ charge applied.

and so 2 times the charge over twice the distance will be the same overall potential as half the charge over half the distance regardless of polarity.

for this example the -q may as well be Zero potential with + and _ charge applied.

and so 2 times the charge over twice the distance will be the same overall potential as half the charge over half the distance regardless of polarity.

but a distance of 2x reduces potential 4x, doesn't it?

isn`t the distance between charges also Resistance (maybe air or vacuum or even a solid spacer)

so if you assign real values to these points such as Case 1: 1 volt across 1 ohm

and case 2: 2 volts across 2 ohms

in both instances 1 Amp is used, so both are the same potential.

that`s at least how I read the problem :)

How I'd see this as a physicist...

-0.5 and -1 can be considered to be vectors

There compareing them as bigger or smaller than the other you would have to compare the moduluses of them which are 0.5 and 1, therefore -1 is two times bigger than -0.5. As the vector is twice as long....

can someone move this to the physics forum so we can have the physics experts' opinions?

I`ve put it in here for now, no other physics area seemed suitable, feel free to let one of us know it you think it`s better somewhere else though.

as you said before the potencial is a caracteristic of the source charge right?

so being the distance double, the potencial of the second charge is a quarter of the first (2r)^2=4r. So supposing the potencial of the first is -1, the other's will be-1/4. Now -1/4 is bigger than -1 but |-1| is bigger than |-1/4| so i'm not sure. Would choose between D and E.

Being the signals only a case of convention, I would choose D.