home netwroking

taylrl

I was wondering if it was possible to connect 2 computers, one using an internet connection to the others LAN point. Basically i want to use my old comp as an external hard drive for my new comp. they both have USB ports, but linking them via these requires software i dont want to have to buy. Only one of them has a LAN port, and the other only has an internet connection.

When you say "only an internet connection", do you mean a modem, or something else? Chances are you're going to have to either buy a USB LAN adapter or PCI NIC card. The second option is really cheap (under 10 GBP for me); not so sure about the first.

The USB will be more expensive than a PCI NIC. Probably more like £20 (GBP).

Then you'll just need a cable to connect them, which should be cheap, unless the computers are a long way apart.

Have you considered just taking the hard drives out of the old computer and adding them to the new computer?

My house mate gave me a copy of filezilla (I'm sure it's free) - where I can access all his files through wi-fi, I'm pretty sure it's not wi-fi dependant. You just load the software into both PC's and providing they're connected in some way you have access to the other's hard drive.

I'll ask him when I get back from work if you want.

Unless this is the software you were trying to avoid ?

My house mate gave me a copy of filezilla (I'm sure it's free) - where I can access all his files through wi-fi' date=' I'm pretty sure it's not wi-fi dependant. You just load the software into both PC's and providing they're connected in some way you have access to the other's hard drive.

I'll ask him when I get back from work if you want.

Unless this is the software you were trying to avoid ?[/quote']

He's trying to find a way to link the computers...

Is the PC or the laptop the one with the LAN port, if it's the PC, then a PCI NIC card is teh way forward...