programming in c

cdinesh1

Atheist: If you download it before november you get it free and you get to keep it forever!

Well MS products generally suck - and seeing as it does not work on Linux nor anything lower than 2000 I believe it's not worth downloading ;)

You pay for an OS and they drop support there should be laws against it!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Sorry to interfere - the discussion has already gone off topic anyway.

True. Had the initial post been something like "can anyone help me writing a program that generates primes? I´ve tried this: [add code here]" I´d even feel sorry about it.

I've been learning C++ (From http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/) I'm about half-way through the tutorials.

Even though it´s called "tutorial" for me it seems more like a quick-reference. I´d think there are better tutorials out there.

I was thinking of starting a password program. That's all I could think of.

What exactly is a password program?

Could someone give me any hints as to other software I could potentially make with the C++ language.

There is two ideas that spontaneously come to my mind (don´t know why):

1) Generating all prime numbers up to a given number.

2) Check if a given number is a palindrome or not.

:D

Other than that: Well, what are you interested in? Math tools? Physics simulations? Graphics? Sound? Networking? Artificial intelligence? Something else?

Except for articifial intelligence (which I know nothing about) I think there´s easy programs that even a beginner could write.

Potentially, you can make pretty much any program you care to choose in C or C++, simply because they are two of the most powerful languages around (well, strictly speaking they're the "same" language of sorts). There's an awful lot of flexibility, and because of that there's quite a fair margin for error.

Math tools? Physics simulations? Graphics? Sound? Networking? Artificial intelligence? Something else?

Except for articifial intelligence (which I know nothing about) I think there´s easy programs that even a beginner could write.

Thanks for those - although maths tools have been done to death.

As for Dave's comment:

http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/pcinfo/progdocs/cppcrit/index005.htm

What do you think now? I kind off agree with the 'critique' against C++.

I've been working at the tutorial and its just takes ages to write up a code to do a simple task. Together with the fact that the article talks about how the code will be far too complex to maintain - is c++ really 'flexible' for the future of computer science? I can see why java is now more popular. Universities still insist on c++ as a core component of a bachelor's degree in Comp Sci. but recently I've noticed java being worked in. Will C++ go down the drain?

I don't know. I seem to be going of in my own nerdy little world. Still the question of whether c++ will survive is in my mind. Any clarification? Is C++ the right way to go for a software engineering career?

conversely http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=30415&seqNum=3&rl=1

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()

{

int dig1, dig2, dig3, dig4;

cin >>dig1>>dig2>>dig3>>dig4;

if(dig1=dig4);(dig2=dig3);

(cout << "PALINDROME");

return 0;

}

Here's my desperate attempt at making a palindrome program. I couldn't include an else structure. I feel like an idiot because there are people younger than me who could - set up an else structure.

The program works. (no it doesn't).

Oh- and its not in C. (Its C++). Don't think it will be much use for your programming homework (assuming that is what the original question was).

So this has all been a waste of time. (yes it has). Have a good day.

What do you think now? I kind off agree with the 'critique' against C++.

I can't agree with quite a lot of it, simply because the author clearly has a death-wish against the language. Personally I find the language to be very intuitive (minus a few things, such as passing multi-dimensional arrays via functions). One of the key points that he is apparently making is this:

C++ forces the programmer to perform many administrative bookkeeping tasks that a compiler should automate.

Without meaning to sound like I'm contradicting myself; this is the entire point of C++. The reason that you are able to do so many things in C++ is because you're not overly constrained by the limits of the language. A part of this is, of course, lack of an all-singing, all-dancing standard library like you'd find in C#. I don't find that a problem, simply because of the plethora of libraries out there to help you along the way.

I've been working at the tutorial and its just takes ages to write up a code to do a simple task. Together with the fact that the article talks about how the code will be far too complex to maintain - is c++ really 'flexible' for the future of computer science?

The nice thing about C++ code is that it's reusable. I spent a fair amount of time creating a class to implement general PDE solving methods. Today, it's taken me less than an hour to get a fully functional psuedo-spectral solving method going, with an X plotter and various other doodads. Basically, if you're willing to put in the time to create proper code, then the rewards will be great.

As for your point about tutorials taking a long time; I don't deny it. Heaven knows I spent many, many hours getting to grips with the basics of C and C++, but it was definately worth it. I find that with something like Java or C#, you are abstracted too much from the actual mechanisms going on, and it's very easy to get lazy and make silly mistakes. I don't get that a lot with C.

I can see why java is now more popular. Universities still insist on c++ as a core component of a bachelor's degree in Comp Sci. but recently I've noticed java being worked in. Will C++ go down the drain?

Java's nice. I know that at my university, and many others, it's the language of choice because it gets the ideas of programming behind the student without having to actually worry too much about stuff like memory management. However, I don't really rate it purely because of the speed issues. I can get much, much faster and responsive code from many other languages, and so I tend to use other things.

It should be noted that this is being used more and more (along with .NET) in enterprise solutions. I'm not a big fan of all that so I'm going to keep my mouth shut, but that is potentially one area to which C++ is not suited.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

• 1 month later...
MS Visual C++ express edition 2005 is free until Nov 2006.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/download/

While I'm pretty sure the compiler itself has always been free, the cut down version of the IDE Visual Studio was only free until Nov. However, recently, they have decided to make them free permaneantly :D (helps get young developers fixed on using Visual Studio and Microsoft Libraries).

http://blogs.msdn.com/danielfe/archive/2006/04/19/579109.aspx