Blood Pressure

starbug1

afraid I don't know it in much more depth than that. I think the increased pressure causes changes in the composition of the vessel walls, with thickening and increased amounts of collagen being laid down and a loss of elasticity. I think this somehow aggravates the blood pressure problem, making it a vicious circle. And I think the changes in the vessel walls make atherosclerosis ie fatty deposition in the blood vessel walls more likely or make it develop faster. More fatty plaques means more risk of them rupturing and causing a blood clot, leading to a heart attack or stroke.

Cardiovascular disease!!

"Hypertension is a major risk factor for CVD [cardiovascular disease] and the most common risk factor for the development of HF [heart failure]...Aggressive lowering of BP is critical to help reduce the risk of CVD and help prevent the development of HF."

The burden of cardiovascular disease: following the link from hypertension to myocardial infarction and heart failure.

how does sodium cause high blood pressure? I was wondering about that for some time now.

Your body works very hard to keep things like sodium at an absolutely constant concentration in your blood. So if you had more than the normal amount of sodium in your blood, in theory your body could tell the kidneys to hold a bit more water back to 'dilute' the sodium and keep it at the same concentration, giving you higher blood pressure (due to the extra fluid). But I don't see how this scenario would happen, because the kidneys can just excrete excess sodium. Maybe there's a limit to how much they can get rid of all at once, I don't know.

I got my lab back and I mentioned the problems with heart disease, heart attack and stroke, and how blood pressure affects metabolism and everything in between. I was docked for leaving out "stroke volume." One of the main reasons high blood pressure is such a risk because the stroke volume is less than a physically fit person, therefore, reducing the amound of oxygen in every pump of blood. Therefore, furthermore, muscles, tissues, et cet, do not receive enough nutrients to keep a body healthy. so, minus one. Overall, at least, I knew what I was talking about.

Thanks for any input