Spam!

theorein

I guess you could team up with a programmer or two, give them the idea and let them develop it, and release it as donation-ware with you and the programer(s) getting an equal split of the donations. That would probably be the easyest way, tho not nessesaraly the most lucrative.

Im curiouse as to how you have an idea as to how to stop spam without any technical knowledge tho... could you give us a brief overview, without revealing too much?

I guess you could team up with a programmer or two' date=' give them the idea and let them develop it, and release it as donation-ware with you and the programer(s) getting an equal split of the donations. That would probably be the easyest way, tho not nessesaraly the most lucrative.

Im curiouse as to how you have an idea as to how to stop spam without any technical knowledge tho... could you give us a brief overview, without revealing too much?[/quote']

First of all let me thank you for your courteous reply.

My method is somehow like this service>> http://www.returnpath.net/

It will incorporate several SPAM solutions. All email services can benefit from this service. There will be no new laws. There will be no need to hide one's email. This service will in no wise interfere with SPAMMERS right to SPAM.

Current SPAM tools assume all emails as geniune or legimate, but under my system all emails will be assumed to be SPAMS.

That's is some of the procedure involved but NOT the service itself. If you have the technical knowledge, and if you are interested in developing this method, I am willing to share the whole idea with you. But you must give me the credit.

more later.

Thak you.

theorein

I am pretty good C/C++/Perl programmer, looking for a project - so I would be interested.

I arrived to this solutions using Socratic Method. I asked questions. And when continue doing this, a strange thing happens. It's like you open a tap and the water come running out. Your mind get tapped into a resovoir. You begin to ask all the right question and the solution is simple.

This is how I solve problems. I need some technical details or answers to certain qustions on email systems to prepare a paper on this idea for you. How do you want me to send this to you?

theorein

It seems you want to filter spam by assuming guilty and scanning for keywords to suggest innocence. I can't imagine how that'd be successful.

What words are likely to apear in all legitimate e-mails and unlikely to appear in spam?

Dear friends,

Thank you for your questions. I already asked this question to myself. And I have an answer. If I post all this in this forum, my idea will loose its commercial value. Let us form a team and make this project a reality. I want a person who can manage the team and take control of the works of forming the team. Anyone interested?

Also please post all your doubts and questions regarding this idea.

Thank you.

theorein

Hmm... an interesting question. Seeing as spam is advertisments hit them where it hurts - their sites.

Take spam links add them to a database and then use a content filter too block the sites. Seeing as their spam is designed to make people go to their site this could hurt them most of all.

I also like the idea of sending it back to the source, this could cause their mail server to crash if its all done at once :D

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Dont forget that a significant amount of spam -- perhaps the majority -- comes from pc's that are infected with mass-mailer worms, and from hacked/exploited servers, so trying to DoS the spammers by mass-returning the mails wont work particulaly well.

The database is quite a good idea, and would be extremely technically easy to do (for IE at any rate) with a hosts file.

The database is quite a good idea' date=' and would be extremely technically easy to do (for IE at any rate) with a hosts file.[/quote']

The hosts file affects at the OS level so it will work with all browsers :) Its also quite an effective way to go about blocking it...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Well, you live and learn... i thought it was IE used the hosts file, before asking the OS to resolve the address; didn't know that hosts entries would affect browsers like firefox.

cheers for the info.

Well' date=' you live and learn... i thought it was IE used the hosts file, before asking the OS to resolve the address; didn't know that hosts entries would affect browsers like firefox.

cheers for the info.[/quote']

Yea it does - infact its a reccomended option for blocking sites from being displayed in Firefox and other browsers :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Well, i could trawl through my junk email box for website addresses if anyone else is interested in making a 'spite' hosts file that blocks the websites that advertise via spam?

Post them up here! Maybe if I get some spare time I could write an extension for Firefox that would didsplay a 404 message when trying to access those sites.

Depends on how much time I get spare over the next week or two - if anyone else would like a god - please do (Interesting to see the ideas of other people).

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

like you just told me, and as i just witnest when i checked, hosts file entries pointing to 127.0.0.1 cause a 'website unavailable -- server not found' error in firefox :P

I think we should start a new thread rather than hijack this one, as theorin started this thread for help with his idea.

Death to spam! :D

I think we should start a new thread rather than hijack this one' date=' as theorin started this thread for help with his idea.

Death to spam! :D[/quote']

Yea I agree with that - save these poor people the headache of technical computer jargon :D

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I think a few examples of capital punishment might help to deter future spammers. Perhaps if several were tied down, painted with honey and left for the ants to eat, other spammers would take notice of what's in store for them. Of course, if death is too harsh then maybe some burning bamboo slivers jabbed under their fingernails would keep them away from the keyboard for a while. Virus writers could be treated the same as well.

Spammers couldn't care less if you go to their sites or not. Spammers get paid believe it or not, by selling email addresses to other spammers. When those spammers get more email addresses, they sell them to other spammers. It's a whole vicious circle of life.

The sites that the spam advertises care wether you go to their sites or not.

As it stands at the moment, because of the cheapness of emails, even if only one in every [insert large number here] people follow the link in a spam mail, the site spammers make a profit; the cost of an email that doesn't produce a new customer is so negligable as to not matter.

If every non-biting spam recipient ran the risk of preventing others from going to the site, then it might make a difference to wether or not a site descides to advertise via spam.