Mousetrap propelled Airplane

rlynn

Hmmmm.... A mousetrap provides a considerable force during a 180º half a revolution short travel; and what you want to move (¿a propeller?) takes comparatively much less force and much longer revolutions...

If you can come up wth a set of gears to use the spring force to multiply the spinning, something could kind of work... briefly.

Like a wind-up toy.

Miguel

hmmm, well the mouse trap is supposed to propell the airplane (a regular airplane?) and the only use of propulsion is rubber bands, or a propeller and the mousetrap, and the mouse trap has to be connected to the plane at all times.

Use the Mousetrap to pull a string wrapped around a little thingy connected to some gearing to increase your revs for the propeller is the easiest way i can think of to make the trap power a plane. The plane will need to be pretty robust, mousetraps have quite alot of pull in them.

Sneaky, but...

first define a mousetrap, simply "a device with the potential to catch mice", however inefficiently. Then build a standard model airplane with a sprung trapdoor in the fuselage, baited. Flying mousetrap solved.

[bUBBLE=How big will the plane be? I have a feeling that the mousetrap would cause aerodynamical problems.][/bUBBLE]

I'm not sure about that either. How big would the plane have to be in order for the mouse trap to be strong enough to provide the force of propulsion?

I will stake all my aeromodelling experience on saying that a standard mousetrap will not supply any useful flying power. The rubber motor will supply the power, the mousetrap will be payload, and the wingspan should be 2.5 to 3 ft. The rules should be specific as to what constitutes a valid flight. Any fool should be able to achieve at least 30secs. with such a settup. Unless the rules specify a maximum weight of rubber, you just beef up the rubber until you achieve your goal.

• 5 years later...

Reverse catapult. mount the mouse trap on the bottom of the glider. You would need to build something to take the anvil from the moustrap hitting it to launch the glider.

Intresting idea, I see a homeschool project for my 11 year old. Drill holes in the mouse trap to lighten it.

Great idea. If rubber bands are allowed use them for powering a propeller as well.

The mousetrap will add significant weight to the airplane, so the designer should place it near the main wings (to maintain fore-and-aft balance), preferably "sideways" (to reduce drag) and underneath (to keep the center of mass below the center of lift) like the sternum of a bird. The "bale" (the part that snaps shut!) would be turned upward in its "loaded" position. To eliminate the relatively heavy weight of gears, attach a strong thread (such as dental floss) to the bale, and wind it around the propeller's metal axle. When the bale is released, it will turn the shaft and propeller (like the pull start on a lawnmower).

220px-Br%C3%A9chet.png