Nails

I was wondering (for no reson other than sheer curiosity :D ), what function do finger nails and toe nails have in humans, and what would happen if we didn't have them (eg lost due to an accident)?

Would the loss of our finger nails effect our dexterity? WOuld the loss of our toe nails effect our walking? What other effects might the loss of either our toe or finger nails have?

Just out of curiosity...

er, if you did have an accident and lost your nails, they would just grow back lol

I had a hangnail on my big toe that got infected. Eventually the toe nail fell off, by then though the "squishy part" was already starting to get hard.

Anyways, like it's already been said, nails are there to help grasping things. I guess if you pick things up with your toes nails would help :D lol

Would it be an evolution thing from claws or something? They also would provide more traction when grabbing or climbing. I bet stone age people didn't need to trim their nails because they used them more and wore them down. It's like in herpetology where you either get rough rocks for your lizard or you clip is nails.

According to the online encyclopedia, the human and primate nail corresponds to the claw, hoof, or talon of other animals. Human nails protect the tips of the toes and fingers, while fingernails help us pick up small objects and scratch ourselves.

On the other hand, the feet of primates are capable of gripping objects, just like their hands, so their toenails have much the same function as fingernails. However, human toenails seem to be an evolutionary leftover.

source: http://ask.yahoo.com/20010504.html

It's true about the small objects thing, but I really don't see the protection part. It's the other side of the fingers and toes which actually touch stuff, and I don't cry out in pain every time I take a step or type. It's got to be the claw remnant thing.