Fatal System Error

bslevin

Hello, i have a big problem, hopefully someone has an idea of what to do.

ok here is what happened, first the system i am working on had a virus and it infected the wininet.dll file which could not be cleaned, or deleted. after reading some forums i found a solution to rename the file in safe mode and then copy a clean version of the file from a site they listed.

i did this and now when i try and start the computer i get the following error:

Stop: c000021a {fatal system error}

the windows login process system process terminated unexpectedly which a status of 0x0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The system has been shut down

it just stays on this blue screen.

now it does this at normal boot, and safe mode, so i cannot get into the system to delete the file and restore the old file.

the computer is running XP Home SP2 - but the computer only has the cd's provided by Dell that does a reformat to factory settings.

does anyone know how i can get into windows or a comand prompt so i can fix the file?

I cannot reformat the drive, there is alot of data on it, does anyone have any idea??

You'll need to burn that CD and then set your broken computer to boot from it. It's usually a BIOS setting--when the computer is starting up (before Windows starts loading) there should be a thing telling you which key to press to get into setup. From there, set it to boot from CD first and you can then use Knoppix.

That site is for the c000021a error' date=' however it is for when you have an issue with the Session Manager. He doesn't have this, look at the original error, it is with the Logon process.

So see here instead:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;156669

However this has "... a status 0xc0000034" which is the wrong status code, however it is a 0xC000021A Logon error... maybe try both help pages.