Temp at time = 10 billionths of a sec

qwerty

So, I read that at time = 10 billionths of a second after the big bang, the temperature was "billions of billions of billions" of degrees celcius.

Now, from what I've learnt in chemistry, heat can only be passed on to other objects, so if there are two objects out in space at 100 degrees touching each other, they will remain at 100 until they touch another piece of matter that is higher/lower than 100degrees?

Well, why when every single particle at those early stages of the universe are at roughly "billions of billions of billions" of degrees celcius, the temperature now on earth is only 30 degrees. the temperature of the hottest suns are only in the millions of degrees celcius, where did all that massive temperature go?

Thanks people.

if there are two objects out in space at 100 degrees touching each other, they will remain at 100 until they touch another piece of matter that is higher/lower than 100degrees?
This isn't entirely true. Heat radiates as well, so the objects will gradually cool down whether or not they touch anything.

ok, PV = nrT. as volume increases, temperature increases. ? as we keep the pressure and amount of stuff the same?..

anyway, isnt the amount of matter now the same as the amount of matter at the start of the universe..? just that now it is more spread out?

This isn't entirely true. Heat radiates as well, so the objects will gradually cool down whether or not they touch anything.

I dont know this could you please explain more, do you mean the heat can be given off from objects as radiation.

If so, then where would that radiation go, wouldnt it eventually hit other matter, heating that matter up, keeping the overall average temperature the same as in the beginning?

Just in the same way it takes a lot more heat to warm a large house than it does a small house, the amount of heat in the Universe hasn't changed, only now the same amount of heat is being used to warm up a REALLY big Universe instead of a teeny tiny one.

As you can imagine, that's not very much heat to go around a Universe this big.

yes i understand the universe is wayyy bigger than before, but isnt the amount of matter inside the universe exactly the same as before (before being just after the BB). So i've read somewhere else off my memory that the average temperature of the universe is like 3 degrees kelvin or something.

Mustn't that be measuring all the matter in the universe. Well just after the BB, the average temperature of ALL the matter in the universe was billions of billions of degrees...

hope you can understand what i've written heh

That's a bit of awkward wording. Radiation is one form of heat transfer. Hot things radiate, but any system in equilibrium absorbs just as much radiation as it emits.

So' date=' I read that at time = 10 billionths of a second after the big bang, the temperature was "billions of billions of billions" of degrees celcius.

Now, from what I've learnt in chemistry, heat can only be passed on to other objects, so if there are two objects out in space at 100 degrees touching each other, they will remain at 100 until they touch another piece of matter that is higher/lower than 100degrees?

Well, why when every single particle at those early stages of the universe are at roughly "billions of billions of billions" of degrees celcius, the temperature now on earth is only 30 degrees. the temperature of the hottest suns are only in the millions of degrees celcius, where did all that massive temperature go?

Thanks people.[/quote']

Heat can also be transfered through EM radiation.

heat is just aggitated particles. as there were so many particles in such a small space, the temperature would need to be very high, as the particles moved away from each other, the heat becomes dissipated. so basically that heat is now spread throught the universe

Radiation absorbed by the particle will be lesser than the energy radiated by it,just imagine two balls in the middle of an empty cube radiating the energy. For the just afterBB situation nothing will be there to absorb those quanta.

MAss conversion is one possibility which can explain wh the average temp. of universe is lowered.

I doubt that just energy or just mass of universe is constant for given movement of time , so average temperature won't also be constant.

Now from av. temp. of universe and Mass of universe , we may get the energy stored as heat in the universe at that moment of time if we know av. heat capacity of universe.:eek: If we know the total energy & mass just after bigbang and Energy and mass of universe today we can get how much enegy is being massificated [ E=mc^2+...].