Abortion Survey...

Teri

I'm doing a survey on public opinion on Abortion the specific question is:

For those persons that disagree with abortion would you change your mind based upon the following situation question:

Can you consider rape victims abortions justifiable based upon lack of consented intent to become pregnant?:confused:

Thanks for any responses I get please state whether your male or female by typing (m) or (f) next to your response and if I'm lucky enough your age too thanks a million. I hope to get at least 100 responses through online responses and in person responses.

Teri

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you consider rape victims abortions justifiable based upon lack of consented intent to become pregnant?

(m) I am Anti-Abortion, and in the case of Rape and lack of consented intent to become pregnant, I believe that abortion is not justified. Just because the mother was raped, this does not mean that the child is not a living being. If the mother still, after birth, does not want the child, she can eaisly put it up for adoption, rather than have it killed. Lack of consented intent to become pregant does not mean the child is not alive. Every being should have the opportunity to experience the world and live life the way they want to, not be killed because some man raped the mother...

(m)(24) She has every right to do as she feels best for her own wellbeing.

If she was raped then the father has NO right to comment on the fate of the child.

[Off topic comment to anti-abortionists: What about a situation where the pregnancy endangered the life of the mother?]

m(21)

I'm not anti-abortion, but if I did actually believe that "abortion is murder," I don't see how the mother being raped would change that fact.

Incidentally, I don't consider it murder in all cases. The intitially fertilized ovum resembles nothing more than a tumor (not a person - destroying it is preventing a life, not ending it), and by the time it is born it's an infant (definitely a person - destroying it is murder). The line you draw in between is ultimately an arbitrary one.

I'm pro abortion but as far as the 'rape' example goes, I'd be more concerned about the welfare of the child. Even if a child is adopted, they have a right to know that and to know who their birth parents are. How do you tell a child that 'your father raped your mother'?

Can you consider rape victims abortions justifiable based upon lack of consented intent to become pregnant?:confused:

(f)19

I'm normally anti-abortion, with a number of exceptions, and this scenario is one of them. First off, I have to consider the potential psychological harm and depression that might afflict a woman forced to harbor for nine-months the seed of the man who violated her. Secondly, and with less force, I have to wonder if some such child could ever lead happy lives. As long as the pregnancy is terminated early on, I don't have any qualms about it.

Very true AzurePhoenix. I known a woman who have been aborted three times in her teenager years, and now she is an elderly woman, and she went into a deep physical and emotional depression. It looks like she is going to kill herself any minute. It's not funny at all.

(f)19

AzurePhoenix...you're a girl!!!!!!! I had no idea.:embarass:

m(17)-pro-abortion. I'd like to follow up on your stance of psychological harm for the woman. You said:

I'm normally anti-abortion, with a number of exceptions, and this scenario is one of them. First off, I have to consider the potential psychological harm and depression that might afflict a woman forced to harbor for nine-months the seed of the man who violated her. Secondly, and with less force, I have to wonder if some such child could ever lead happy lives. As long as the pregnancy is terminated early on, I don't have any qualms about it.

I feel the same about this as you do...but when are you anti-abortion? When the baby is in the first or second trimester?

Can you consider rape victims abortions justifiable based upon lack of consented intent to become pregnant?

This of course is a tough decision for the mother, but I have just one thing to ask. Would you want to be the the bastard son/daughter to a rapist? I strongly think this causes more psychological problems for the product of the rape--the baby, moreso than it would for the mother.

m(18) - I'm mostly pro-choice. The only time when I'm against abortion is when the women is doing it out of pure "convienince." Unless a mother is truly unable to take care of a child, then that mother should not be able to take the "easy" way out... I'm also against partial birth abortions.

Also, I feel that illegalising abortions is a big mistake for one reason. As soon as you outlaw abortions, the number of women that will die from aborting babies will increase. Things like coat hangers used to abort unwanted fetuses result in the death of the mother as often as the death of the child. And you can be sure that "home" abortions will increase if legal, safe abortions are illegal.

f18

As Sisyphus says, a fertilised ovum is not alive in its own right, whereas a newborn baby manifestly is. Where to draw the line is tricky. I would advocate the point at which the central nervous system has formed (as far as basic structure is concerned; the brain carries on developing long after birth, and in a sense throughout the individual's life).

I don't believe that the circumstances of the pregnancy change the ethical status of an abortion. A rape victim can justifiably obtain abortion in any situation where any other pregnant woman can, and only in such situations.

The perfect solution would perhaps be a way for doctors to remove the fœtus without killing it, and growing it in some kind of tank. Such technology is a way off yet, methinks.

Hope this post isn't redundant.

Um... I have 3 letters for that:

W T F?!

What possible reason would there be for doing that kind of procedure? You've been carrying the baby for 9 months, it's a bit late to change your mind about giving birth now! It's now ready to be born - so why not just put it up for adoption?

The abortionist stabs the scissors into the base of the baby’s skull. The scissors are spread to enlarge the opening. The suction catheter is then inserted and the brains are sucked out, causing the skull to collapse. The head slides out easily.

I had no idea they did it like that. It about make me sick to my stomach.:eek::mad::eek:

If a child is concieved either through rape or in the natural way why would the child want to be murdered?

Thank goodness your mother did not abort you. You are here with us.

Most people do not consider what the child would want.

The child would naturally want to continue it's existence and be born and become like us.

But some mothers want to kill and they find every reason to do so.

If, unfortunately, a child is conceived through rape, allow it to be born, and give it the usual love and care and maybe it could be adopted to alleviate the pain that the mother might feel in the presence of the child.

In any case, who amongst us, the living, has the right to say that a mother should kill. A child has the right to be born. Allow this.

In any case' date=' who amongst us, the living, has the right to say that a mother should kill.[/quote']

Um... the mother in question?

You could argue the other way: who has the right to say that a woman can't have control of her own body?

It's an argument that really can't be resolved - there will always be the anti-abortionists and the pro-choice people.

The term "pro-life" is inappropriate, it's not about life, it's about control. but then again, isn't rape usually about control as well, and not sex?

One could almost say that forcing a woman to carry a child against her will is almost like 9 months of rape.

By the way, abortion means this:

The baby's arms are first severed and withdrawn from the womb, then the legs are cut off and then withdrawn, the head is cut off and withdrawn, the trunk is now small enough to be withdrawn. Each of the 'pieces' are dropped into a bucket and the doctor pays a business to dispose of the remains of the baby.

If a child is concieved either through rape or in the natural way why would the child want to be murdered?

Maybe because it would go through it's entire life knowing that it was unwanted... what a terrible thing to have to live with.

Thank goodness your mother did not abort you. You are here with us.

On the other hand, if I had been aborted, it's not like people would miss me... they wouldn't have known me in order to miss me.

Most people do not consider what the child would want.

Does a fetus really want anything?

By the way' date=' abortion means this:

The baby's arms are first severed and withdrawn from the womb, then the legs are cut off and then withdrawn, the head is cut off and withdrawn, the trunk is now small enough to be withdrawn. Each of the 'pieces' are dropped into a bucket and the doctor pays a business to dispose of the remains of the baby.[/quote']

Partial birth abortions are like this... I do not believe that early abortions are like that, though. What happens is that the fetus is broken up by some sort of rotating pseudo-blade, which is not a big deal, considering it's just a bunch of mostly undifferentiated cells. I can see you're going for the "Appeal to Emotion" and "Misleading Vividness" fallacies.

The child would naturally want to continue it's existence and be born and become like us.

Prove it... until you can do that, you have to act in the best interests of the mother.

But some mothers want to kill and they find every reason to do so.

You make it sound as if it's an easy decision to abort a baby... do you think mother's like having to make that deicision? How many people do you know who have had an abortion... or at least read testimonies from mothers who have had abortions. Are your opinions based on fact or idealized fiction?

If, unfortunately, a child is conceived through rape, allow it to be born, and give it the usual love and care and maybe it could be adopted to alleviate the pain that the mother might feel in the presence of the child.

And if the mother can't afford to keep the baby? It's not like it was her decision to have one... is it fair to bring a baby into the world that can't supported by it's own mother. Even adoption is not the prefect solution, preventing unwanted children from being born allieviates stress on the adoption clinics. Some children spend years being shifted from foster home to foster home, never finding a real place for themselves... often falling to cime... does that sound like the usual love and care?

In any case, who amongst us, the living, has the right to say that a mother should kill. A child has the right to be born. Allow this.

Good point... who has the right to say, the mother or a judge?

Yeah, but surely at that stage of development it's a little late for the mother to change her mind about carrying a child. She's been carrying for at least 6 months by the start of the 3rd trimester? Like I said before, It's a bit late to change your mind now, sweetheart. What gives?

In that case she's being inconsistent at best, hypocritical at worst.