Simple Math Question

RedAlert

Hey guys,

This is just a grade 10 level math question that I have, that will be extremely simple for you, but I am unable to understand what to do (I am in Grade 10 too).

The problem is that there are 9 people playing sports, and they need to divide up into teams of 2. How many different ways can they form their groups?

The answer for this question is 20, but how do you get that answer? I am totally confused, and all your help in clarifying this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RedAlert

The answer can't be 20.

Any way of pairing these people up must leave one person out on their own. Their are 9 different ways to pick one person to leave out, and so the answer must be divisible by 9.

Anyway, counting now, we can leave out1 person in nine ways, and you need to figure out how many ways to split 8 people into pairs. Just do it with a pen and paper. Perhaps try doing it for 4 people, first, then 6 poeple, try to spot a pattern.