vibrations to electricity?

teek786

Hi all,

Im new to SFN so sorry if this has been discussed, just wanted to know if there was anyone out there who could explain to me how vibrations from sound can be converted to electricity, though Im sure it is possible I cant seem to get my head round it.

Thanks in advance.

Two main ways I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Piezo-electric transducer (PZT). Crystals that when compressed, produce a voltage (and vice-versa) so when the sound puts pressure on the crystal, you get a signal.

2. Pickup coil. The sound moves an object that has a magnet on it, and the motion through a surrounding coil induces a voltage by Faraday's law.

Two main ways I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Piezo-electric transducer (PZT). Crystals that when compressed' date=' produce a voltage (and vice-versa) so when the sound puts pressure on the crystal, you get a signal.

2. Pickup coil. The sound moves an object that has a magnet on it, and the motion through a surrounding coil induces a voltage by Faraday's law.[/quote']

thankyou for your time, much appreciated.

Hi.

Do this: connect the speakers from your stereo together; (no amplifier at all involved) gently push/tap one cone and observe the other following nearly the same motion.

With sound, the motion is much less, but happens. The sound becomes an electrical signal , goes trough the wires and becomes again vibration at the other speaker.

Miguel